Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum

docc

Here in The States, we have this rather dubious, informal holiday known as "Groundhog Day" that marks midwinter (February 2).

While there is much pomp and lore surrounding this construct, it basically comes down to, "Let's have some fun and be happy winter is half done."  :rasta::drink:

In this spirit, a handful of us piled into a very fine late model Toyota and headed to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham, Alabama, USA.  Recently expanded and otherwise extended, the combination of the collection, the presentation, and the surroundings is purely staggering.

http://www.barbermuseum.org/plan-a-visit/look-inside/

IMG_4408.jpg

As an added bonus, there was a running of the 24 Hours of Lemons wailing around the track! This, somehow, resonated with our tight group of Guzzisti . . .

https://24hoursoflemons.com/

maxresdefault.jpg

So, if you've not been to Barber, go! If you've been, go again! If you don't have any plans to go, Groundhog Day seems appropriate, somehow . . .

We got where we couldn't pull ourselves away from the Vintage Festival to spend the day in the Museum. I don't mind being inside for hours and hours when the weather is crappy. Not in a place like this, anyway!

Numerous Guzzis of all sorts on display, but this Ghezzi-Brian SuperTwin had us fascinated for quite a long time . . .

IMG_4393.jpg

• Like 1

I'll not forget the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, but there is so much to wade through there and still never get this close to a cut-away Matchless . . .

IMG_4392.jpg

• Like 1

Here in The States, we have this rather dubious, informal holiday known as "Groundhog Day" that marks midwinter (February 2).

While there is much pomp and lore surrounding this construct, it basically comes down to, "Let's have some fun and be happy winter is half done."  :rasta::drink:

In this spirit, a handful of us piled into a very fine late model Toyota and headed to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham, Alabama, USA.  Recently expanded and otherwise extended, the combination of the collection, the presentation, and the surroundings is purely staggering.

IMG_4408.jpg

when did they put a walking bridge in the back of the museum?   Was the water always there?

I'll not forget the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, but there is so much to wade through there and still never get this close to a cut-away Matchless . . .

IMG_4392.jpg

The natural history museum in Chicago is wonderful, too.. but.. if you are a motorcycle guy, Barber's is beyond amazing.

Barber's is imaginably kool..  :grin:

Looks amazing Chuck but not as cool as the Smithsonian at DC and Dulles. 

Ciao

I suppose.  I live relatively near both NASM and the Udvar-Hazy, and love aircraft.  Given my terminal Italophilia, my favorite is the Macchi Folgore downtown, tho the Würger also appeals to my German genes.  Love all those warbirds, and, despite my admiration of that Axis metal, especially glad that "ours" won.  

Even so, IMO, Barber Motorsports Park scratches more of my itches than any D.C. venue (individually) -- OK, OK, mebbe the National Gallery of Art wins Best of Show, so to speak.  

BMS is, however, a near-breathtaking experience.  I had to (almost literally) drag Kathi there the first time.  She now wants to go back.   

If you have been there, well, "different strokes" comes into play.  If you haven't, do if you can.  Not sure it's worth the physical and fi$cal pain of a r/t from Oz, but it is mighty fine.  Mighty.

Best,

Bill

IMG_4408.jpg

when did they put a walking bridge in the back of the museum?   Was the water always there?

They've been physically working on this "addition" for the last couple years and debuted it at the last Vintage Festival. This is the "back" of the museum taken from across the track. The addition is the entire four-story cube on the right. When the walk-way was completed, many (including me) had the impression the addition was going to be in the infield, but this is how it resulted.

So, the waterway is new and gathers a multi-tier waterfall along with the usual variety of statuary and landscaping. The walkway continues up the hill, in the infield to a viewing platform where so much of the track is visible, it is absolutely stunning.  There are "surprises" everywhere.

IMG_4392.jpg

The natural history museum in Chicago is wonderful, too.. but.. if you are a motorcycle guy, Barber's is beyond amazing.

I remember a "G50 Matchless" displayed in the Art of the Motorcycle exhibit at the The Pyramid in Memphis. (It was not the same burgundy tank G50 displayed at the Guggenheim in New York).  This one had a race history and the story was that it blew a sealing plug from the crankcase and the racer sealed it with a Krugerrand. Being an ounce of gold, that rates as a dedicated repair!

Looking at these engines, though, I don't see a place to fit a Krugerrand in the Barber engine. What gives?

69.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

They (Art of the Motorcycle, The Pyramid/Memphis, 2005) presented that "Krugerrand" racer as a 1962 Matchless G50, but it looks like a twin to me. It was an interesting story, but probably not a G50 (single cylinder).

No wonder I couldn't find where the Krugerrand fit in the G50 cut-away at Barber!

So . . . never mind the BritBike thing. :whistle:

My main focus at the museum was to soak up as many delicious post-war Italian singles as possible. And there are many! The level of artwork in these classic designs is just fabulous. This is one of the very best: :food:

IMG_4396.jpg