Adjusting valves with worn rockers

docc

As it happens I just fitted the V11 with a new set of rocker arms yesterday while doing the Griso valve cover conversion. At 42,000klms the old rocker arms had the typical wear on the valve stem foot that makes clearance setting harder than it should be. They would have gone more miles but I had a new set so threw them in. If the engine had a set of roller rockers wear at this point wouldn't have been an issue. Might look at getting this conversion done on the old rocker arms. 

Ciao

So, with over 100,000 miles on my flat tappet Sport, when I set the valves, they are actually looser than my feeler gauge is telling me?

If so, I wonder how much looser?

As it happens I just fitted the V11 with a new set of rocker arms yesterday while doing the Griso valve cover conversion. At 42,000klms the old rocker arms had the typical wear on the valve stem foot that makes clearance setting harder than it should be. They would have gone more miles but I had a new set so threw them in. If the engine had a set of roller rockers wear at this point wouldn't have been an issue. Might look at getting this conversion done on the old rocker arms. 

Ciao

So, with over 100,000 miles on my flat tappet Sport, when I set the valves, they are actually looser than my feeler gauge is telling me?

Could be docc. When the rockers wear its simple not enough to slide the feeler in there because you will almost certainly be measuring on the unworn portion of the foot. To do them accuratey you need to set the gap to the worn part of the foot. I guess mine had around 3 to 4 thou wear on them.

There is a place over in the States that does a nice roller rocker conversion for around 700USD from memory. Not only do you eliminate the wearing foot issue but you get more accurate cam timing as well.

Ciao

EDIT... just measured the worst one docc 0.003" wear. Because the foot doesnt wear all the way across its face you get inaccurate valve clearance settings unless you are aware of it and just use the feeler on the worn part. 

• Like 1

Ciao

Could be docc. When the rockers wear its simple not enough to slide the feeler in there because you will almost certainly be measuring on the unworn portion of the foot. To do them accuratey you need to set the gap to the worn part of the foot. I guess mine had around 3 to 4 thou wear on them.

There is a place over in the States that does a nice roller rocker conversion for around 700USD from memory. Not only do you eliminate the wearing foot issue but you get more accurate cam timing as well.

Ciao

Ciao

3 thou is a lot for those miles. I don't mind running my valves a little loose, but . . .

So, use a feeler gauge the width of the valve stem and most carefully align it with the groove worn into the rocker foot?

Ciao

Ciao

Ciao

3 thou is a lot for those miles. I don't mind running my valves a little loose, but . . .

So, use a feeler gauge the width of the valve stem and most carefully align it with the groove worn into the rocker foot?

Thats it docc. I can send you an image to show you the wear location if you like.

Ciao

LuckyPhil's rockers with 0.003" wear at 42.000 km/ ~26,000 miles:

(Phil, is that an intake/ exhaust L -> R, or what?)

DSC00608%20-%20Copy.JPG

Sorry docc I mixed them up during the clean up after the job was done, but I'm pretty sure it was the exhausts that were the most worn. The exhaust on one side is the inlet on the other and vice versa. Often its the inlet valve train that wears slightly more on most engines due to the larger heavier valves.

Ciao

• Like 1

LuckyPhil, the link you sent on the roller conversion set me straight. This doesn't convert the tappet, but converts the rocker foot, itself. I like this idea!

http://www.baisley.com/rocker_service.htm

Roller%20Rocker%20Conversions.JPG

Yes docc, not roller lifter, roller rocker. Heres the link to an online image of the Baisley big block conversion.

No more rocker foot wear.

Ciao

http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/hidden-customization.15092/

Rollers_zpsaebgjr1f.jpg

Does anyone know of a vendor who can grind a new radius onto a worn rocker arm?  That seems like the easiest solution to the problem.

Wouldn't you also need to get it re-hardened?

^^^^^

Probably not, if you are just talking a few thousandths. 

I think he was talking about a whole new radius, not just a refacing.

I'd like to know how much wear to expect on my 105,000 mile rockers and take in all the options.

There is always much to learn. So let's take it as far as it wants to go. Just remember, some rabbit holes come out on the other side of the looking glass . . .