Adjusting valves with worn rockers

docc

Going back to Doc's original post in this thread; no you probably do not get a true reading with worn tappet arms but will most likely be within acceptable tolerance.

If you are really keen use the old technique whereby you determine the adjuster thread pitch, screw the adjuster in to zero clearance then back of to set the gap. If you have a 1mm thread pitch it is easy as 1/2 turn equals 1/2mm (0.5mm). Helps if you keep the jam nut fairly snug while adjusting so clearance does not change as you tighten it.

Years ago I saw a tool sold for this purpose with a round scale marked off in tenths, similar to a car cylinder head bolt torque indicater.

We are only trying to adjust the clearance not strip and machine arms or adding super duper roller arms.

How about this sort of tool? Or this gnarly kind.

tool-1.jpg

gnarly.jpg

• Like 1

Oh! That's brilliant! I have one of those clever valve adjusting tools!

I can set my valves as usual, then use the "thread measure" to see any difference, That would be the rocker wear!

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

[so, does anyone have a rocker adjuster handy to measure the thread pitch? Or know it, offhand?]

You really are determined to worry yourselves to death aren't you??? Bloody bonkers the lot of you!

Haha! Truly!  It makes me recall showing my Lionel toy train layout to a friend's young, very smart girls. They watched it go 'round a few times, blew the whistle a bit, then the older one (maybe eight) said, "Is that all it does?"

I thought about that for about five years . . .

I came to me, though; "Most importantly, it keeps an old man's mind off more worrisome things." :oldgit:

• Like 1

You really are determined to worry yourselves to death aren't you??? Bloody bonkers the lot of you!

So, now, it occurred to me ( I mull over these things in my bonkers state-of-mind  :blink: ) that I've adjusted the valves on this Sport twenty or twenty-five times. Every time, I try to get it *just so.*  I love the process . . . the slip of the feeler gauge . . . the joy of the first ride after the *Tune-up* . . . that >feeling

So, how could I feel good about setting the lash (I love saying "lash." It is so: In-the-Know :nerd: ), 0.006"/0.008" +/- 0.003"? (My hi-miler "could" be more out of spec.)

I would rather know the variance and compensate for it as indicated.  :luigi:

"Bloody Bonkers?"  By Bungendore, I rightly hope so! :rasta:

How far are you guys going with this?  

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

fce8f8988e419f5bd41e7ac3adb3b21dab7107f3

• Like 1

Well i don’t know... i have sincerely enjoyed maintaining, and riding, my guzz. I have no idea where the hell i would take her if i couldn’t have done the work myself. There’s nowhere i know of locally that’s for sure. This forum is ace. Just bloody brilliant. You lot are utterly complicit in the continuing functioning of my motorcycle! I might have a little cry...

• Like 5