Rate my oil change!

swooshdave

8 hours ago, JBBenson said:

Do you change the filter through the manhole? If so, how do you get to the hose clamp which I am sure you are using...?

Asking for a friend.

Yeah, man, I use the "access cover." I've only pulled the sump twice.

I totally agree with what LuckyPhil, gstallons, and Chuck posted above. And I totally trust their experience and opinions.

Thinking of what Chuck said about how the cover does not line up with the angled bottom of the sump, I realized I have been doing this with the bike clamped vertical and the lift raised. Being over on the sidestand and working off the floor would complicate getting that right every time.

If you use a quality filter and tighten it correctly (significantly tighter than my old "hand tight" thinking, they stay put for the 5,000 miles/ 8.000 km between my oil changes. 

I had a Rossa Corsa here that was new to a guy. The PO had done a bunch of stuff to it including a "sump plate" of some-sort. There was no oil touching the stick, and what came out was about six cups of black, thin stink. My biggest worry was trying to get the filter out of the access in case *someone* had hoseclamped it. I used a dental mirror and focused light to declare it all clear. The guy still jokes about me breaking out the surgical instruments to work on his Rosso Corsa . . .    :nerd:   :luigi:    :sun:

I don't use a hose clamp either. I understand the logic. Unlike other bikes (and cars) where if the filter starts leaking because it is coming loose you won't notice as it won't start dripping oil on the ground. With the internal oil filter it can fall off and you will loose oil pressure but there won't be an oil leak. Almost every other motor would have an external oil leak as the filter started coming loose. That would be easy to spot as an issue.

That said, I simply make sure the filter is properly tight and so far that has been enough. Perhaps one day I will wish I had used a hose clamp. But so far I am good without one.

If I ever start worrying about it I would be more likely to install an oil pressure gauge than a hose clamp.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, czakky said:

On the great Bosch oil filter sticker controversy.

I changed my oil today out of paranoia. I have about 200 miles on this oil and filter as it was my pre winter change. So at least a couple heat cycles. I will say that the sticker was attached and whole but came off real easy after bathing in oil since November.

If it was me i’d drain the oil and remove the sticker just to rest my mind. I wouldn’t fault a guy either way though.

I checked the sticker while installing the Roper Plate. It was on solid. No worries.

• Thanks 1