Isle of Man Le Mans

rich46

Hello again,

Sorry to only hit the forum when I need help but I do have another question.

We are putting the last touches on our race bike and the paint is drying on the bodywork and tank  (weather here in northern California is just right for this kind of work)  The bike should be ready to head to Daytona with even some time for testing before we leave the left coast.,

So my question is this.  We are using a tank that looks like it may be from the late '70's early '80's it does not have a built in pad and the fill pipe is centered.  It is fitted for two fuel petcocks at the rear of the tank and the emblem was affixed by small screws.  Our problem is that there is a large threaded opening at the forward underside lip of the tank.  The hole is rather large say 26 to 28 mm.  I've measured it with a micrometer and it feels as if it may be tapered.  Does anyone know what went in there and what size it might be.  I have tried all sorts of plugs AN, NPT, BSP and so on with no luck.

All we want to do is fill the hole so again your help is needed.

Regards

Rich & Wade 

Hey Guys,

I am no where as conversant in the uniqueness of Moto Guzzi and their different models.  My affair really started with the fact that I just loved the sound they made.  This and the family way the factory goes about their business.  

This said I have no idea what the tank came off of.  Ed at Guzzi Power (he has been sponsoring the effort with quite a lot of help and bits) turned me loose on a stack of used tanks.  I picked one that looked period correct circa Guzzi's best racing years.

I had been thinking that it must be some kind of fuel level sensor.  Because of the era that the tank came from  (I did look for the unit in all kinds of  pictures and most likely half a dozen microfiche drawings)  and the low spot it's in I think you are quite correct.  I was still not sure because the tank came from a time when the factories were really fighting to become EPA compliant thus doing all kinds of weird stuff to get past the EPA motorbike requirements. 

It would be great if someone could send me a dead unit that I could use to plug the hole.  As I said before finding the proper plug ihas been a task and not a successful one.

I am in the process of doing the painting and getting the art work on the bodywork as soon as that is finished I'll hit you all with the pic's of the finished  Motorbike.  Can even include the other two that are going to Florida tho they are not Guzzi's

Rich