Fork oil change

Ian

I would disagree, oil has long chain molecules that are broken losing viscosity.

Watch old fork oil being poured out, like water. New oil is usually much thicker.

Good point, CZ.   The oil is beaten like a scrambled egg.  I would assume once the oil is broken down that fork is a little wimpy?

Well said. Seems the fork oil change interval is 12,000 miles/ 20.000km.

I've been cheating on mine. As LowRyter sez, it is a bit of a PIA. Yet, I keep reminding myself, "This is what I do for fun!" :oldgit:

Nah. The Sport feels great right now. Yet, I have Traxxion dynamics springs spec'd for my weight and Öhlins shock.  That surely has made the biggest difference (along with my sag selections:~30% front/ 25% rear.

I suspect that if I changed the fork oil I *might* be able to tell a difference. It is, truly, overdue. :blush:

serious question for you Docc.  I am getting a new shock built for me.  I need it stiffer in the rear for highway weave issue when riding with the big HB bags.

But I am afraid, if the shock is too stiff, I'll lose the quick handling I love about the bike.  I've ordered a remote preload adjuster but  I hope it's not too stiff where it won't handle in the twisties.  

How did the suspension upgrade change your bike?

serious question for you Docc.  I am getting a new shock built for me.  I need it stiffer in the rear for highway weave issue when riding with the big HB bags.

But I am afraid, if the shock is too stiff, I'll lose the quick handling I love about the bike.  I've ordered a remote preload adjuster but  I hope it's not too stiff where it won't handle in the twisties.  

How did the suspension upgrade change your bike?

The suspension upgrade on my 2000 Sport is the Single Best Thing I have ever done to the Sport. At first, I thought I overdid the spring rate on the rear, but it has been fabulous.  I always ride with my Teknos packed with tools and road repair load-out. Sometimes beer. :bier:

Once the springs are correctly spec'd, get your "sags" set (adjust the preload) and I think you will find the handling gets even better. I like the front to sag just slightly more than the rear as I posted above. Works well with my Pirelli GT and 35/40 psi (front/rear).

The only "downside", if there is one, is that the ride height came up noticeably with the new suspension. I'm still good with it, but it is higher than stock.

• Like 3