Rear wheel drive hub greasing

docc

Docc

Like MartyNZ say, BMW part #. 07559062476 . That MP 3 grease is super for spline use, realy sticky.

Tom

• Like 2

I got the Staburags stuff for my BMW splines and have used it on the driveshaft couplings on the Moto Guzzis too. It's so sticky that it comes with a little brush for application.  For inside the drive hub, I've been using Bel-Ray waterproof - same stuff as I use on the axles and pretty much everywhere else that needs a dab of grease.

There seems to be an ëngineering" issue here. When you apply a semi solid or solid lube for that matter to a spline any more than a thin film is not only a waste of lube but also counter productive. All that excess that gets pushed off when the two parts come together is never going to somehow make its way back into the splined area. Its not ever going to be a reservior of lubricant. What its going to be is a reservior of trapped dirt or excess that gets flung off and makes a mess.

More isnt better. Same can go for solid lubricants such as spray on moly lube. Just a light coat required any more is counter productive.

As an example, we lubricate the fan blade dovetail roots on high bypass gas turbines with spray moly. Clean them off and apply sparingly re assemble and good for another 5000hrs. Or you can clean them off apply moly lube liberally and have engine fan vibration issues. Which means pulling the blades again cleaning and doing it sparingly.

The excess lube in the dovetails means the blades are to tight and cant move around as required hence the vibes. Not directly applicable to the V11 of course but an example of more isnt better. When you think about it, this philosophy also applies to MANY thing in engineering and life.

Ciao

• Like 2

Pretty sure this is most expensive grease I've ever bought:

Kluber Staburags NBU 30 PTM

Glad to know I should be using it "sparingly!" :thumbsup:

Honda has a moly paste that is WAY cheaper than Staburags. It used to be called Honda Moly 60 but replaced with Honda M-77.  At your local Honda dealer.  Used and approved by many of the "cheapest thing on a BMW Airhead".

the rider !

Honda has a moly paste that is WAY cheaper than Staburags. It used to be called Honda Moly 60 but replaced with Honda M-77.  At your local Honda dealer.  Used and approved by many of the "cheapest thing on a BMW Airhead".

the rider !

I have some drive splines on a cnc milling machine that I tried Honda Moly. It disappeared in no time. Truly. 

Other than the cost, I am hopeful that the Klüber Staburags will be more appropriate than the BelRay Waterproof I have been using. I feel like the BelRay has been effective as a lubricant, just messy. Largely because of my copious application.

If not, then I'll score some Würth SIG 3000 and do-over. :thumbsup:

Is the Klüber Staburags truly comparable to the Würth Sig 3000?

• Like 1

The Staburags is a grey paste that you have to brush on. It's incredibly sticky. I've never used the Wurth product, but from Chuck's photos it looks totally different than the Staburags.

I've been using the Bel Ray Waterproof in that area, but sparingly. Like Phil explained the only grease that matters is what's between the splines, or what covers an area to prevent corrosion. Copius application just makes a mess that attracts dirt. Or worse... flings onto the wheel... or even migrates onto the tire tread.

• Like 1

I was using regular marine grease and re-applying every tire change but switched to the Staburags and don’t see a need to re-apply that often.

I like it, cuts the tire swap time down a bit.

• Like 1

Yeah, so this is so soupy . . . I have long been a BelRay Waterproof Grease fan.  Maybe for the shaft and U-joints, but not on the drive splines anymore . . .

This is 250 miles after a *copious* application (ask the drummer what "copious" means . . . :huh:

IMG_4578.jpg

Here is the "judicious" application of Klüber Staburags with a toothbrush, and careful clean-up including "Q-tips."

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

I tried cleaning off the toothbrush (gonna need it in the morning! :grin: ) with CRC Throttle Body Cleaner,

but the grease would NOT budge! :thumbsup:

IMG_4582.jpg

• Like 1