Oil in airbox

Ian

I'm going to set up a small bottle in line with the breather, and clean out the airbox completely again just to run an experiment. 

There's nothing to say that these two possibilities are mutually exclusive. 

Just a sidenote: the V11's breather condensing system is indeed good, but also has it's limitations of course. I've heard that V11's sometimes wear their piston rings quite quickly. My V11 is also showing slightly worn piston rings (i.e. some blowby into the crankcase and thus breather) at 36.000km...

Pressureangle, I’m really interested in the result of your intermediate oil trap experiment. I can’t believe the amount of oil in my air box and in the throttle bodies is right. Either someone has grossly overfilled my bike with oil at some stage, or the rings are worn (unlikely on a 9000 mile motor) or there is something else wrong.

I’m going to finish doing the service, make sure everything is set up properly and the oil is not overfilled, then I’m going to monitor the air box contents

Out of interest, if there is anyone on the forum who has worked on a lot of different v11’s have they seen this on many bikes? I’m particularly interested in whether they have found black oily gunk all through the throttle bodies, inlet manifold and inlet tract in the head? The gunk is thick but not burnt on and hard. Very odd, never seen anything like it before

• Like 1

Pressureangle, I’m really interested in the result of your intermediate oil trap experiment. I can’t believe the amount of oil in my air box and in the throttle bodies is right. Either someone has grossly overfilled my bike with oil at some stage, or the rings are worn (unlikely on a 9000 mile motor) or there is something else wrong.

I’m going to finish doing the service, make sure everything is set up properly and the oil is not overfilled, then I’m going to monitor the air box contents

Out of interest, if there is anyone on the forum who has worked on a lot of different v11’s have they seen this on many bikes? I’m particularly interested in whether they have found black oily gunk all through the throttle bodies, inlet manifold and inlet tract in the head? The gunk is thick but not burnt on and hard. Very odd, never seen anything like it before

When I was going through the Sport upon it's arrival, I found the airbox full of tar, and it took 4-5 times of very serious chemical assault to clean the mung out of the TBs and throttle plates. I used an entire can of carburetor cleaner, and nearly an entire can of TB/intake specific cleaner to get 95% of it out. I've never seen anything like it. The odometer showed only ~20k miles, but the bike's obviously been down so it's possible it isn't the original. 

Tar is a brilliant description. That’s exactly what is was like. I’d love to know if “they are all like that sir” or whether this is unusual.....

• 2 weeks later...

When I was going through the Sport upon it's arrival, I found the airbox full of tar, and it took 4-5 times of very serious chemical assault to clean the mung out of the TBs and throttle plates. I used an entire can of carburetor cleaner, and nearly an entire can of TB/intake specific cleaner to get 95% of it out. I've never seen anything like it. The odometer showed only ~20k miles, but the bike's obviously been down so it's possible it isn't the original. 

Can I suggest you buy a small ultrasonic cleaner off ebay ( they are very affordable) to make this job and many others very quick and easy.

Ciao

Can I suggest you buy a small ultrasonic cleaner off ebay ( they are very affordable) to make this job and many others very quick and easy.

Ciao

you mean as in *take it apart*? 

I'll apply the 80/20 rule any time 80% is 100% serviceable and invisible.

Ciao

you mean as in *take it apart*? 

I'll apply the 80/20 rule any time 80% is 100% serviceable and invisible.

Not sure I understand but yes, take the TB's off and ultrasonic them. No need to disassemble them just clean them as a pair. Removal and refitting is therapeutic, its shed time, mans time,red wine and musing time, reflection time. Time well spent:)

Ciao  

• Like 1

I agree that if I need to clean the muck out again it would be easier to pull the TBs off the bike and clean them on the bench. The only reason I didn’t do them that way this time was that the mounting bolts under the TBs were REALLY tight and I didn’t want to shear one and have the hassle of fixing it

For whatever reason :huh2: , Moto Guzzi designed the throttle bodies to remain as a an assembly and be removed/replaced together.

At least on my RedFrame, this cannot be accomplished with out crabbing the frame slightly.

• 1 month later...

Update on my original oil in the air box issue that I discovered when is serviced my new to me V11 for the first time.........1000 miles of riding since doing a major service and tune up on the bike and I just pulled the air box lid to find.................completely clean and dry HURRAH!

The problem must have been a previous owner grossly over filling the oil (likely) or wheelying the bike a lot (unlikely), either way, I am very happy about it

BTW I pulled the tank because the speedo cable snapped!

• Like 2