Fuel pump service life?

Pressureangle

My new-to-me '97 1100 Sport i has ~21k miles on it. I've been through all the electrics, replaced the cam sensor, TPS, remade connections and replaced all the relays. New hoses through the entire fuel system. Everything seems fine. 

Except for that one single time, in the driveway after a cleaning when the pump didn't start, and a light whack with a screwdriver handle set it going. 

Now I'm nervous, and I'll likely just replace the pump. It's 20 years old, even though low mileage and is out front in the air.

What's the group experience with external pump life?

My pump went open circuit a while ago. The bike has 50K km on it now.

If it happened after a clean it might just be some dirt/corrosion on the connectors. Easy enough to get to on the Sport.

• Like 1

• Like 1

Any 12vdc pump that delivers correct volume and pressure will work. It seems that somewhere I saw that particular Quantum pump listed as a direct replacement. That's the one I was thinking of ordering. I'll have to research specifications and warranty.

At the very least, servicing the connections is good method.  (Open connections, clean, apply Caig DeOxit)  :thumbsup:

And that High Current Relay in Position #5 . . . :thumbsup:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=2491

$57 from MG Cycles,  Scud posted it on the compatible parts thread

Hm. For $20 I'd like some manufacturer and warranty information. 

I can't find any pressure/flow chart for any of these pumps. They have a very small volume requirement relative to automotive pumps, yet are not much smaller in size. For 100hp should need only 10gph, and the smallest automotive pump I can find is about 35gph. 

I may have to do some testing...Anybody have a fuel pressure regulator laying around? 

PA-  I think it's the same generic pump that all the auto stores sell.  I don't know why MGC is selling them $20 less than anyone else.  Perhaps it's a typo or overstock? 

Most of these pumps I've seen cost about $75 at the local auto parts store, the trick is to find the cross reference from Guzzi to generic. 

BTW- the "Guzzi" pump lists for $350. If you look at the part numbers, they go on everything from Ducatis to Jaguars.  I think my local mechanic says he found it listed for 1961 Peerless.  I have no idea what a Peerless even is. Car? Truck? Train? Aircraft? Cruise missile?