Shipping question for the frugal members

nobleswood

I'm talking with a fellow Guzzi rider who has some wheels for sale.

He came back from UPS with a quote, $195 Canadian to ship & $64 Canadian to package the wheels from British Columbia to central Ohio.

Seems abit steep to me.

Anyone have a cheaper method ?

Thanks

Wheels are heavy. Plus you don't want them banged up so packaging is important.

If the wheels are only worth $200 then I can see the consternation. If they are $2000 it's probably worth it.

I shipped a set from Indianapolis to Tokyo for 180. via USPS. Granted they were magnesium, but surprisingly it only took a week. I bolted them together and packaged them as if they were coming to me. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Most of the people in BC live near the border, it's not a big deal to slip across and take advantage of the lower postal rates and skip customs duty. There are several companies in Blaine that set up business especially.

At the Border Mail is one I use because if there's a lineup I can walk across, yes I do check in :whistle:

A hot motor launch across the Erie under the cover of darkness would probably push your shipping costs way up beyond UPS . . .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwSvqZZjvfprakd6EfXsa

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

A few bits of information I've learnt in the last few hours. Greyhound will take some freight, but not over the border. The Canadian Post is cheaper than UPS.

I like your idea Kiwi Roy but the seller is a Griso rider in Squamish BC, which I think is a bit far from the border.

Docc. What can I say...always thinking outside the box

USPS -( not to be confused with UPS) to Canada has been very reasonable for me in the past. Not sure about the other direction. I see car engines coming out of Canada through LKQ for about $300 shipping, not sure what service they use.

• 1 year later...

Cheapest is by bus, but if they are worth a lot of money you should try using a shipping company. I never shipped just parts, I did however ship whole bikes. A few years back I bought a bike but it was across the country from me and I didn't have the ability to get down there and bring the beauty myself (though it would have been one hell of a ride). So I ended up using a shipping company (You can check them here: https://cheapmotorcycleshipping.com/) In general it a good idea because they were very professional they didn't damage anything. And they were fairly fast so I felt like it was an overall pleasant experience. I am not sure if they ship parts but I think they might so give them a go.

For what it's worth ... I have found Canada / US Postal service to be the best method in the past - just make sure that regular (ground) rate is specified (rather than express options) - slower but a lot less $$ ...

Gio

11 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

Digging deep? The post is almost two years old.

I am often surprised to see members searching really old content. I often take a look at those threads as we have learned much, and have vastly better interface tools and understanding than we did in, say, 2003. I try to add links to more contemporary threads with current insight without altering the original threads.

I do, however, often add notated edits to my own posts that turned out to be, well . . . less than totally correct. Or even completely misguided. :blink:

I try to leave my unadulterated BS as is, since it is so obvious when docc is just bullshitting. (see above^  :grin: )

• Like 1