Odometer stopped working - 2004 V11 Cafe Sport

GuzziPet

Hello,
the odometer on my Cafe Sport stopped working recently. Symptoms were slowing turn over on the dial and dancing speedometer needle. While riding I hit the instruments and the speedo reacted normal but the odometer counter (trip and and total mileage stopped working..). Any suggestions? I know one big cable housing below the instrument cluster routes under the tank.....have not investigated any further yet. Suggestions..solutions? Thanks a bunch!

I agree, but you should not be fixing your Guzzi by hitting it. That tends to make me think you have an issue with the speedo drive. Perhaps the cable. Start by making sure the cable is tight on both ends, down at the trans and where it goes into the speedo.

I agree, but you should not be fixing your Guzzi by hitting it. That tends to make me think you have an issue with the speedo drive. Perhaps the cable. Start by making sure the cable is tight on both ends, down at the trans and where it goes into the speedo.

How could it be a cable issue if the speedo needle still works?

More likely an internal failure of the odo drive, tapping the instrument free'd up/disconnected the speedo from the odo.

Ciao 

This happened on my 2004 Sport, the internal worm drive had worn through. I did find a replacement speedo which I think Harpers had. However considering the cost, if it happens again I'll get the Speedhut gauges for not much more.

• Like 1

Time for a Speed Hut purchase!

They look really nice and people seem to be happy with the quality and performance. 

Plenty of pics of them on the board.

Replicating the white face Veglia, and adding every option available from Speedhut, added to the cost. Having them build faces similar to the black face ITI is likely more straight forward (read: cheaper). There is still the matter of fitting and mounting the Speedhut (not exactly "plug&play") and whether they can stand the weather. :huh2:

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

• Like 2

If you would happen to source a new ITI, there is a method of cutting them open and lubing that stupid gear. That seems to fix them.

• Like 1

More likely an internal failure of the odo drive, tapping the instrument free'd up/disconnected the speedo from the odo.

Ciao 

"Symptoms were slowing turn over on the dial and dancing speedometer needle."

Just trying to go by what he said.

Ciao 

yes, speedometer works the, the odometer is dead...will probably go for a Speedhut. THX

p

They look really nice and people seem to be happy with the quality and performance. 

Replicating the white face Veglia, and adding every option available from Speedhut, added to the cost. Having them build faces similar to the black face ITI is likely more straight forward (read: cheaper). There is still the matter of fitting and mounting the Speedhut (not exactly "plug&play") and whether they can stand the weather. :huh2:

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

What kind of sensor did you use to drive the Speedo, I'm still in the fog on how I transfer a mechanical cable drive to an electronic speedo? The adapeters mentioned either don't have the right thread, or can't be use because of space issues. Is yours the GPS solution? Also any pic from the mounting and fitting? Thanks a bunch.

p

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

What kind of sensor did you use to drive the Speedo, I'm still in the fog on how I transfer a mechanical cable drive to an electronic speedo? The adapeters mentioned either don't have the right thread, or can't be use because of space issues. Is yours the GPS solution? Also any pic from the mounting and fitting? Thanks a bunch.

p

There are companies who sell a hall effect sensor that goes on the speedo drive output at the transmission. That signal can then be used to drive the speedo. Or there is a sensor you can fit at one of the wheels that picks up a signal as the wheel spins and use that to drive the speedo. That is what I did on my Daytona. But the GPS option that Doc went with is probably the best option, it certainly is the easiest.

• Like 1

Ciao 

My assumption was that the failing internal odo drive was effecting the speedo needle stability which seems to be the case as when the odo drive failed and disconnected the speedo needle returned to normal ops.

Ciao