Odometer stopped working - 2004 V11 Cafe Sport

GuzziPet

Thanks to all replies. I see two clear routes taken.

1. I call it the European fraction, choosing the ETB gauges and using an Acewell speed sensor which need some thread adjustments to connect the sensor to the gearbox.

2. The American fraction chooses the SpeedHut GPS Speedo. I'm very intrigued about the Customs options....

My question: Is there any successful attempt in using a speed sensor with the Speedhut gauges? As far as I could tell, nothing out of the box has been found to get a new gauge and a fitting sensor option that simply works together w/o considerable surgery?

3. Is there another Moto Guzzi gauge (maybe later models, Griso, Stelvio, Breva etc) that can be connected to the exiting mechanical cable drive? Thanks again for any reply.

The later models are electronic units so not an option, the earlier white face Veglia won't work either I tried it once and the cable drive in the early gearbox has a different ratio so the cable runs too fast

Options 4, 5

http://ecommerce.ago...product=329901     One in stock now. This is a MPH Speedometer. Ignore the translation from Italian "Tachometer".

I just ordered a kph speedo from my local dealer.  Not many choices now. It came with a label with 2006 mfg date and dUR logo instead of ITI.

Buz has the parts to fix these ITI speedos .  

Buz Ras

206-369-5063

Took the ITI Speedo apart. Used a small flat screw driver and pried open the bezel (from back). As I'm not the first owner, I would assume that someone else was in there before me. The gear that is stripped is the spindle gear, looks like a dough roller with gear teath in the center (1/2 inch wide). This gear was stripped. Most of the gearing is metal, not plastic as I assumed from pictures (assuming the Veglia). The spindle engages the worm drive from the cable drive. To fix this gear a new spindle is necessary, and maybe good lubing might extend the life of that ITI gauge. I abandoned mission at this point.

Buying a new ITI gauge might definitely be the easiest way, but I personally would look inside the new gauge and check on lubrication and lube all metal and plastic gears. How that would impact the longterm reliability I don't know. I personally think that the mechanical issue might return so I decided on the Speedhut GPS unit. Less mechanical, and complicated to hook up, compared to all non Moto Guzzi replacements.

So I ordered a GPS Speedhut, with some customization, keep y'all posted.

• Like 1

From memory.. always dangerous with me.. it is the metal gear that fails. Back in the day, Greg Field posted a method of cutting a window in the case, lubricating the gears, and closing it up. It supposedly fixed it. There used to be a tutorial on WG, but it left with a server crash..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I made the colossal mistake of not researching reputable speedo/odo restorers.  Sent mine to Seattle Speedo, total scam.  Got suckered for just under 600 clams, guess I am lucky that's my first time giving away money via internet.  Don't use this guy, mine came back all f--ked up!  Cracked faceplate (over tightened screws), speedo goes to 30mph max, faceplate came off of tach during install, original road dirt outside, his shop dirt and scratches inside, on and on.  You can read my Google review of his services online.  Sad.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Tom in Virginia said:

Well I made the colossal mistake of not researching reputable speedo/odo restorers.  Sent mine to Seattle Speedo, total scam.  Got suckered for just under 600 clams, guess I am lucky that's my first time giving away money via internet.  Don't use this guy, mine came back all f--ked up!  Cracked faceplate (over tightened screws), speedo goes to 30mph max, faceplate came off of tach during install, original road dirt outside, his shop dirt and scratches inside, on and on.  You can read my Google review of his services online.  Sad.

If you don;t mind one in clicks, here's an NOS Coppa Italia unit in Holland.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-SPEEDO-V11-COPPA-ITALIA-017615600000-GU017615600000-GU0176156-0176/133234636723?hash=item1f056737b3:g:T-gAAOSwCRNdzYAG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twin AH said:

Has anyone opened up one of these for a re and re of the faulty component?

Or is it not possible to repair them in any way.

Ciao

I would think that if one had a thoroughly hashed unit to sacrifice, you could peel it apart and determine the location of the worm gear. Then, find the best location to drill a small hole in the housing for access to the worm gear from outside. Drilling that hole in the housing of a good unit would allow a high quality lube like Mobil1 or Valvoline synthetic grease to be applied to the worm gear by Q-tip or similar, from outside. No need to tear it apart. The access hole could be easily plugged (or even taped over) once done.

Am assuming here that it is constructed like most gauges. To tear it apart essentially involves slowly peeling the crimped aluminum rim from around the lens and housing, pulling it apart to do the repair, then finding a way to re-crimp the rim without it looking terrible. Problem is that the crimp most likely compresses the gasket which seals it from the elements.

Thx very much for that …...Made a few calls to some of the suggested vendors for repair of said gauges and was told they would not be interested in working on them??

Does anyone have a failed unit that could be dissected to show the proper area of the gauge that needs surgery?

At present I don't but if there is a failure which I'm sure there will be one day I will donate to the cause if needed.

Thoughts?        Dale

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 1:40 PM, Chuck said:

From memory.. always dangerous with me.. it is the metal gear that fails. Back in the day, Greg Field posted a method of cutting a window in the case, lubricating the gears, and closing it up. It supposedly fixed it. There used to be a tutorial on WG, but it left with a server crash..

I was just echoing what has gone before. Don't know any X-ray techs, so we're stuck for the time being.

One possibility might be to contact the guys who work on air-cooled VWs. The odos in Beetle And Super Beetle gauges fail constantly.