Merican Selector Spring in the UK

Steve S

Replaced the selector spring with the modified type today, this is a friend's Cafe Sport and I still have my Nero Corsa to do, just a couple of points, if you remove the slotted pin that regulates the arm travel you can leave the bottom selector wheel in place and lift the arm over it, also the countersunk slot screw that holds bracket had been removed too many times and the slot was damaged so I replaced it with a countersunk allen screw

IMG_0602.JPG

• Like 1

What year is your bike Dave? I think pre-03 bikes don’t have the bracket FYI.

Also Lucky Phil did a great write up on selector set up http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19547&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

and there is a good write up on spring replacement by Belfastguzzi http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16872&do=findComment&comment=180745

• Like 1

Replaced the selector spring with the modified type today, this is a friend's Cafe Sport and I still have my Nero Corsa to do, just a couple of points, if you remove the slotted pin that regulates the arm travel you can leave the bottom selector wheel in place and lift the arm over it, also the countersunk slot screw that holds bracket had been removed too many times and the slot was damaged so I replaced it with a countersunk allen screw

Yes, but not all selectors have this, some have a roll pin that realistically cant be removed.

Ciao 

Yes, but not all selectors have this, some have a roll pin that realistically cant be removed.

Ciao 

Never seen the roll pin is that on the early ones without the bracket? if so that's probably why I've not seen it, they don't seem to break their springs for some reason

I think there are four variations on the pre-selector:

1. Earliest: cut-through gears with teeth on about 270 degrees
  2. Next: solid gears with teeth on 360 degrees (I think these, in 2002 are most likely to have the oversized boss on the actuating arm (where the "Merican" spring coil fits)
  3. Then: Adjustable pin added for actuating arm (in place of the roll-pin that Phil mentioned above)
  4. Final: "Banana" plate added to top of gears (as picture above).  I think these are only on 2004 and some 2003 models.

With all those changes, it's obvious that Moto Guzzi engineers were trying to fix something. Hopefully, we have found that "something" in the form of our new spring.

• Like 1

I think there are four variations on the pre-selector:

1. Earliest: cut-through gears with teeth on about 270 degrees
  2. Next: solid gears with teeth on 360 degrees (I think these, in 2002 are most likely to have the oversized boss on the actuating arm (where the "Merican" spring coil fits)
  3. Then: Adjustable pin added for actuating arm (in place of the roll-pin that Phil mentioned above)
  4. Final: "Banana" plate added to top of gears (as picture above).  I think these are only on 2004 and some 2003 models.

With all those changes, it's obvious that Moto Guzzi engineers were trying to fix something. Hopefully, we have found that "something" in the form of our new spring.

My Greeny now has the adjustable small eccentric pin and the banana plate via the Guzzi upgrade kit. The banana plate doesnt make a difference worth the updating in my view. Dont know why they bothered really. Thats Guzzi though updating stuff that doesnt need to be and ignoring stuff that does. Bit like developing hydraulic lifters that dont require adjusting for an engine with the most easily adjustable valves clearances in piston engine history:)

Ciao

• Like 2