May be getting a new tank

jchayes

Anyone have any recent experience with having a tank made, particularly one made to duplicate the OEM tank?

Have I mentioned just how much I hate plastic fuel tanks? Mine is growing. Must've put something in it it didn't like. Probably gonna crack soon...

There are a few threads here on "alloy tanks." Some of them are out of date.

Search Alloy tank" in Advanced Search clicking on "replies" (not "update time") to see what is most recent.

There have been some beautiful alloy V11 tanks made by true craftsmen. :thumbsup:

This is so damned irritating. Took it off to replace the fuel pump and it's been off for three months 'cause it's grown so much I can't even force it back on. I can force the mounting bolt in, but even then the rear is so far back that I can only get one of the two bolts for the rear cowl in. Don't wanna shave anything off or move the pucks. The left side has grown more than the right. Since I got it, it has only had 5 things in it: Shell V-Power, VP or Chevron, Sta-Bil Performance 360, Marvel Mystery Oil. Grrrrr...

Revival, or pretty much any custom builder can build a replacement but $$$$$$$

Your help is appreciated.

I ended up shaving bits here and there. Also trimmed the rubber grommets on the front end of the seat cowl plastic. It's all sad but true. The tanks swell unless you have the foresight to coat them.

There are several posts around the forum regarding addressing this issue. Some of which are, (my own experience) completely empty the tank when in storage and over time, the "swell" will largely reverse. And... using a wood block as a pry bar (someone had photos up of this?) and as Scud mentions, various fiddling with mounting components. Ex: the rear mount nut re-positioned can give a tiny bit of extra room. Have a look at the front mounts to see what you can do there too. Every little bit helps. I personally don't have a real problem with tank stretch anymore.

DNR any swollen woes with my Ballabio, but, I, too, loathe the "plastic" tanks on my Norge and Griso. The Stornello's metal one reminds me of that while I curse the others.

Anyway, I recently bought a "spare" for my Norge and am considering same for my Griso.  

I was near astonished at how much smaller the "new" Norge tank was.  Slipped right in without any issues.

I am drying out the original for a few months to see if shrinks!  :whistle:

If so, may not go through the recoating challenges, but just swap 'em out every year.  

A pox on ethanol.

Bill

Bill