Axle lock nut

docc

Just a question other wise, on a similar topic.

After my last wheel installation, I was in doubt about the amount of distance between the bevel gear box and the wheel face that faces the bevel box.

Anyone has a picture of that distance they can share or are willing to take a pic? Would be very helpful!

Truly, perhaps best to take the translations with a shot of grappa! :drink:

Just so odd, that added parenthetical phrase "housing side." I wonder what they were trying to say. [edit: I see LuckyPhil's post now. Interesting.]

I can say it is A LOT harder to torque the axle to 120Nm by >lifting

In any case, 120NM is ~88 lbs-ft. Not particularly tight for such a large piece, anyway. So tightening the nut isn't threatening to damage anything, even if they meant tightening the axle into the nut. 

As stated above, I've never seen an axle nut come loose on anything, ever.

Guzzi washer and lock nuts (separate supplier) arrived today. I made a solemn pledge NOT to take the Sport apart the night before leaving on a ride. Like I usually do . . . :unsure:

No matter, the lock nuts are the wrong size. I tried to reorder and, somehow, got the wrong size again. Did it over and ordered the wrong quantity. Nuts! I mean, they're just >nuts<. this is just nuts. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_blink.png" alt=":blink:">

And the Guzzi washer is the same as the front (thick). I see the part numbers are the same, too. I remember my rear axle washer (fondly, I might add :wub: ) and remember it being thin.

Of course I remember myself being thin, too. So, is it a memory thing, or that nothing is thin anymore?  :huh:

FWIW, this one time, I'm not taking anything apart on the Sport tonight before leaving out tomorrow. Solemn pledge . . . :whistle:

• Like 3

... I made a solemn pledge NOT to take the Sport apart the night before leaving on a ride. Like I usually do . . . :unsure:

...  FWIW, this one time, I'm not taking anything apart on the Sport tonight before leaving out tomorrow. Solemn pledge . . . :whistle:

I know that you want to regrease the steering head bearings before you go.  :luigi:  <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D">

• Like 1

... I made a solemn pledge NOT to take the Sport apart the night before leaving on a ride. Like I usually do . . . :unsure:

...  FWIW, this one time, I'm not taking anything apart on the Sport tonight before leaving out tomorrow. Solemn pledge . . . :whistle:

I know that you want to regrease the steering head bearings before you go.  :luigi:  <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D">

aukehghgkg!  :blink: Oh! oh-uh . . . or pull the tank. (I've done that the night before a ride before. First time I discovered "tank swell" :o and the tank would NOT go back on!) > Desperation ensued

Other than packing the Tekno panniers, I'm only conditioning the battery to handle the 77 watt heated jacket. Morning temps look to be single digit Celcius with wind chill at 60 mph in the twenties Fahrenheit. :huh: (I'm trying not to think of that as negative Cº . . .)

Makes even bad coffee better! :grin:

Well there was plenty of bad coffee on that 730 mile weekend. and cold temps. and rain :bbblll:  But also, good roads, great folks, and three very fine Guzzi Sports. :thumbsup:

Finally received the correct Nylon locking axle nuts in 18mm x 1.50 mm, Grade 8, normal height, zinc, from BelMetric. My thanks to them for squaring away my ordering mistakes. :blush:

I used my original rear axle in the vise and a 3/8" drive Craftsman "click-type" torque wrench to record "Run-on torque" with the nuts down a thread-and-a-half.

Original rear axle nut (107,000 miles/ ~173.000 km/ 30 tire changes):  5.96 Nm

Original front axle nut (18 tire changes):                                                 6.18 Nm

New/ unused nut (detailed above):                                                         7.17 Nm

I'd have to conclude that this is a "no worries" issue on replacing the axle nuts at some given interval. I will, of course, put the new ones on (along with a replacement 18gauge (14 gauge!) Hillman "machine bushing" (washer) for the [not!] missing rear. Torqued to specification "from the housing side".

:luigi: :luigi: :luigi:

• Like 1

Missing washer mystery solved! :whistle:

Bled the rear caliper today by clamping the bracket to the outside of the swingarm with the bleeder facing up. When I took it off, the original washer dropped onto the lift! :blush:   I had diligently (I thought) looked for it there, even using a dental pick to try and pry it off. Well, there it was, stuck to the swingarm where it belonged. That explains why even an 18 gauge washer set the locknut out too far.

Having just installed my 30th rear tire, my original rear axle washer is rather galled from always torquing the axle from the nut.

(I've changed my ways! :rasta: )

Again, the Moto Guzzi part number for the front and rear axle washers on the early V11 (1999-2001) are the same part number (95 00 4219), but the rear is actually much thinner.  I sourced Hillman "machine bushings" in SAE (3/4" x 1 1/4") from a common US hardware store (Ace).

Here are the comparative thicknesses:

Moto Guzzi early V11 front axle washer (95 00 4219)  -    -   0.112"   / ~ 3 mm

Moto Guzzi early Sport actual rear washer        -      -      -    0.0825" /  ~ 2 mm

Hillman machine bushing, 14 gauge           -         -        -      0.0715" /  ~1.8 mm    

Hillman machine bushing, 18 gauge           -         -        -      0.050"   /  ~1.27 mm

Since the correct Guzzi part (rear axle washer) does not appear to be available, I went with the Hillman 14 gauge machine bushing and got an excellent 1&1/2 threads showing (thanks 68C!) with the new lock nut from BelMetric:

IMG_4962.jpg

• Like 1

czakky, on 02 May 2018 - 7:34 PM, said:snapback.png

Can’t say I’m fanatical about the research required for stuff like this, but I do enjoy the results.

I do so much work on my own bike without adult supervision. :whistle:

I'm counting on you guys!

Two take-aways from this thread:

1) The Nylon locking axle nuts probably last next to forever and will be fine if always torqued properly.

2) The Moto Guzzi listed axle washer for the rear axle of the early V11 is the same as the front and too thick for the rear application to engage the Nylon lock ring. The shown thicknesses are for replacement reference, if needed.