April 2018 Tire Thread

JBBenson

Getting new tires for the Sport. Having raised the back and dropped the front, the Sport is handling better than ever.

In an attempt to slow down the steering a little (I prefer using more muscle), I am going back to a 170 on the rear. The Conti Motion I have on the front has a very "pointy" profile which also makes it feel "tippy", especially on lower speed turns.

So, whats the verdict on tires for 2018? The internet tells me that "Dunlop's and Bridgetones tend to have stiff sidewalls and pointy profiles, while Metzelers and Pirellis lean towards very soft sidewalls and very round profiles."

Also, whats the opinion on balance beads?

Anyone want to chime in? 

I think the mods you made to raise the rear, lower the front and go to 170 (from 180?) tire all would contribute to making the bike turn quicker.  Actually that would be pretty drastic for a Redframe since the bike turns quickly in the first place.  I like the 170 tire, but the original geometry seems to be quick enough and might contribute to some of the high speed weave.

I suppose you can experiment with tires but I think the mods you've done have had the opposite of what you were trying to achieve.

I've ridden on Michelins, Pirelli and Dunlops.  Not much difference in them to be honest.  For cost and performance, I prefer the Dunlops. The Michelins didn't last any longer and offered no handling benefit at about 50% more cost.  My suggestion is to go back to stock geometry and 170 tire and then experiment from that baseline.

I though the same way....until I did it. While it is counterintuitive, the mods I have made have made the bike less vague and more planted. I don't suffer from high speed weave....in fact, the steering is very stable at high speeds, better than ever. The vagueness is gone.

Now its time to slow it down a little bit and reduce tippiness. I feel that the tire profiles (flat-topped 160 on back, pointy 120 in front) are an issue. Time for new rubber anyway, so thought I would ask around.

Thanks for the input.

The weighted front helped plant my RedFrame Sport as well. I like the feel of a set Prirelli GT with 35/40 psi fr/rr

That said, did did you drop the triples on the fork tubes? If so, how much?

• Like 1

I dropped the triples about 10mm including the cap. then I raised the back about 12mm (effectively doubled by the swingarm) so about 1" total.

I never considered the profile of tires in handling until I looked at mine closely, and the Contimotion has a very pointy profile in front, which I think makes it feel like the front is "searching" for the right lean angle in a turn, as the "point" breaks suddenly into the "slope" part of the tire, if this makes any sense.

On lower speed turns, I often have to apply pressure to the inside bar to keep it from flopping in. When really moving I don't have this problem. One solution is to apply throttle at all times. Not very practical.  :race: 

I understand tires are....ahem....highly subjective. But since you also have a Sport, and the Pirellis tend toward rounder profiles, I might try a set.

• Like 1

You might sort it just with tire selection. Setting the suspension sags is likely a good route, as well.

How did you raise the rear that much? just cranking up the preload?

I got a Hyperpro 460 that was 12mm longer than standard at 290mm (178mm is standard), with an adjuster that gave me +/- 5mm.

• Like 1

Yeah, 24mm seems like quite a lot, especially with 10mm on the front. I bet that has quickened her steering up terrifically!

But you do have some adjustability both front and rear so a balance is approachable. :luigi::nerd::race:

Both. 

I have Road Attacks on the Mighty Scura, Classic Attacks on the Monza, and Sport Attacks on the MZed out in SoCal. No idea on how long the Sport Attacks will last.. don't care really.. but they are the best tires I've ever used in the twisties.

The Kid has Classic Attacks on his 1100 Spot, and after a rainy day in the Carolinas said, "These are the bestest  :grin: tires I've ever had."

Uhh, I'm a fan.  :notworthy:  :rasta:  :bier:

• Like 1

I am going to need a rear tire before I ride to Ark.   I need to burn off the last 1k on the rear Dunlop Qual. 

I wonder how an Attack rear will play with a Dunlop front?

• 5 months later...

Just passed 6500 miles on my 97 sport I (17" rear) with Bridgestone Touring T30's. I'm very pleased overall with mileage and performance. From damp tight roads in Tennessee at the spine raid to 90mph sweepers in Montana/West, they never gave a moment's concern for traction, all the way to the bottom of the traed (I rode 150 crazy miles after I wanted to change the front) The only meh was always feedback, which never let me feel truly confident. They are much more reassuring as speed increases, secure and stable at high speeds and lean angles and on any road surface.

So.

Now I'm in San Francisco, looking at a thousand miles of tight, great sporting roads, and any tire will do the flat miles home after that.

Recommendations?

• Like 1

Just clicked over 1,000k's on Metzler Roadtec 01's. 120/70 Front & 170/60 rear.

Best tyres I've hand on V11.

I've run Metzler Z6, Z8 & Pirelli GT Angels.

Roadtecs are stable & give neutral steering. Grip of GT's probably a bit better. In wet - not found any yet

Mileage - will let you know in a year.

Off to Guzzi Rally in North Island this week which will chew up 1,500ks so maybe less than a year

• Like 1