Inability to disengage clutch after twin-disc conversion

slowkitty

I looked pretty hard, Docc.. but I don't see a hammer?? I'd think it would take a two pounder for a job that size.. :ninja:

Didn't need one to take it apart, but putting it back together brought out the joy.

I offered up the 500g machinist's hammer and Andy asked for "a bigger one . . ." :grin:

IMG_2701.JPG

May be a mismatch between Scura pushrod & new clutch/centre button.

When I replaced the stock Scura clutch w a RAM unit, I had to use original centre button as RAM one wouldn't work (centre was too deep). They are different depths, so pushrod was effectively too short to operate the clutch.

May be a mismatch between Scura pushrod & new clutch/centre button.

When I replaced the stock Scura clutch w a RAM unit, I had to use original centre button as RAM one wouldn't work (centre was too deep). They are different depths, so pushrod was effectively too short to operate the clutch.

Here is another account of the compatibility of the pushrod from craigsinclair, April 2017:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19621&p=218685

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

I am really at my wits' end here.  Removed the gearbox and the springs all seemed to be properly seated.  I even replaced the friction plates with the "thinner" 7.5mm ones from MG Cycles, no luck.  There is no complete neutral when the clutch lever is pulled in, such that I can rotate the rear wheel freely. 

Some pics are attached.

Capture.JPG

Can anyone tell if the flywheel is from a 5-speed or 6-speed? Does it even matter?

Capture.JPG

Took out the pushrod to make sure that I am not missing any washers etc.

Capture.JPG

What I will do now is to measure the length of the pushrod actuated extension when the clutch lever is pulled in against the compression of the springs in a vice.  This is to see if there is a possibility that the pushrod was not being actuated sufficiently to compress the springs and disengage the friction plates.

Am I correct to say that the pushrod is in contact with the pressure plate "bowl" by the fact that there is tension in the clutch lever?

Thanks for the views, guys, keep the advice coming.

Andy 

could the friction plates be in backwards? if I remember right :huh2:  the raised flange side goes to the rear/tranny side.

You mean the raised portion points to the front of the bike? if so that is what I did.

Andy 

Thinking back, I recall that both the gearbox input hub and the engagement of the pushrod differs between the single plate (Scura) clutch and the twin plate.

Which input hub are you using with the new twin-plate clutch?

Thinking back, I recall that both the gearbox input hub and the engagement of the pushrod differs between the single plate (Scura) clutch and the twin plate.

Which input hub are you using with the new twin-plate clutch?

Hi,

I am using this now ... 

Capture.JPG

https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?f=e&Shnew=1&Model=1&ModelName=1100%20Sport%20V11&Cat=CLA&CatName=Clutch&spPage=1#topbar

You are right, the Scura's stock hub is lower (in thickness) than this hub cos it need only engage one friction disc than twin.

How does the engagement of the push rod differ?

Andy 

It is the tip, as I recall.

Where it engages the "cup."

From the link above:

"I did get the end of the clutch push rod machined down at a local shop and everything engaged as it should."

It is the tip, as I recall.

Where it engages the "cup."

From the link above:

"I did get the end of the clutch push rod machined down at a local shop and everything engaged as it should."

Hi, Docc,

I saw that. It did not make sense to me cos the V11Rosso is a twin-plater in the first place? This from the parts catalogue:

Capture.JPG

In any case,it seemed that in that post, the owner reduced the length of the rod than lengthened it. 

Andy

Dear Docc 

In that link, the context of that discussion was on the installation of a RAM "5-speed unit in a V11 if they have the correct transmission input hub." 

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the input (no pun intended .. LOL).

The mystery thickens.  I may well remove the flywheel and start all over again.  Sigh.

Andy

To clarify, you have  replaced a twin-plate clutch (two friction plates, a steel intermediate plate, steel flywheel, and "push-button")?

The push rod and input hub are held over from the Scura single-plater?