Can't adjust the CO trim on my 15RC ECU.

Walterg

My 2003 Le Mans is running terrible and I'm looking into setting up the bike according the
different procedures found in the Technical Topics section of this forum. While
connecting the GuzziDiag software and having a good look at the faded letterings on the
ECU I discovered that my bike doesn't have it's original ECU fitted. I'm not sure what ECU
the bike came with but it now has a IAW 15RC PF3C from a California MY03 CAT fitted while
I don't have a lambda probe on my bike.

While all the different GuzziDiag screens and functions seem to work I'm having trouble
setting the CO trim level. After increasing the -128 (yes, -128 !) value with the + button
and clicking the Finish button nothing happens. The screen doesn't change. I can only
press the - or + or Finish buttons. This made me wonder if the CO level can be changed on
a 15RC CAT ECU while my bike doesn't have a lambda probe.

Any ideas about what I can do to change the CO level with the 15RC ECU without the lambda probe ?
Can or should I fool the ECU in thinking there's a lambda probe present ?

Thx !

Walter

ECU_20141204_215241-2.jpg

GuzziDiag-20160828_173816.jpg

The engine must be at operating temperature to change the CO in guzzidiag.

I recall that Lambda can (should be?) defeated in the software (somehow) as well.

Hi Docc,

The picture shows a 'cold' reading. When the engine is to cold for setting the CO level GuzziDiag wont allow access to the CO level adjust screen and

shows a ' temp to low' message. I warmed up the engine before trying anything else.

• Like 1

To which temperature did you heat it? It needs to be above 80degC, otherwise it won't work.

I've tried it last weekend as well, at 75degC, it did all the steps but when I went back in to have a look, nothing changed. Above 80degC it worked.

• Like 1

I don;t recall how to defeat the Lambda sensors, or if that would allow you to change the CO.

Meinolf has a way to set the CO using the the "writer" software. I can't speak to that, but he says it is easy and the engine temperature doen't matter.

Hi Walterg. You say that you have a 2003 LeMans with an IAW 15RC ECU. I believe that bike originally had a IAW 15M ECU.

Darryl & I found that GuzziDiag needs to know what ECU it is connected with, but you can only tell it by setting the model of bike. If you tell GuzziDiag that it is connecting to a 2003 LeMans, it expects an IAW 15M ECU.

Try setting it to 2004 Nero Corsa, or similar model which had a IAW 15RC fitted originally.

See https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17865&page=16&do=findComment&comment=219192

• Like 1

I just got back from a short ride to the gasstation and 5 minutes after I got back and read your posts I went back to the bike and checked the engine temp.

After 5 minutes it was already down to 63 degrees so no luck. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can heat the engine up to at least 75 degrees and try again emediately after I get back.

With GuzziDiag I actually tried all the bikes listed and only the bikes with the 15RC ECU seemed to work with my bike.Which corresponds with the sticker on the ECU.

I don;t recall how to defeat the Lambda sensors, or if that would allow you to change the CO.

Meinolf has a way to set the CO using the the "writer" software. I can't speak to that, but he says it is easy and the engine temperature doen't matter.

To change CO on the 15RC is only possible when lambda regulation is disable in the map.

The "writer" software is IAW15xEEPROMTool V0.04 (15M, 15P, 15RC), reader and writer in all, download and upload an eep file from EEPROM in ECU, it's an another data section as the map. To change use Tunerpro and matched XDF. Very fast and easy way to set CO. For software / XDF download visit the GuzziDiag website.

EEPROMTOOL.jpg

• Like 2

Instead of trying GuzziDiag again I went for the Tunerpro solution but unfortunately this also did not work still leaving me with a CO level of -128.
What I did:
I used IAW15xReader_V0.67 to download the ECU contents into a bin file. Then I used TunerPro with my bin file in combination with

the 15RC_EEPROM_V1.01.xdf file to change the CO level and saved this to a new bin file. Then I used IAW15xWriter_V0.26 to upload

the new bin file to the bike. During this process no error messages were shown. I followed the instructions and only messages stating

everything went fine were shown.

Then I connected GuzziDiag again but this was still showing the old value of -128. I tried the whole process from beginning to end for a

second time double checking the steps and my actions but the result came out the same. The TunerPro logfiles confirmed my changes.

I'm also sure I uploaded the new bin file and not the original one I saved from the bike.

I went back to the GuzziDiag method again and heated up the bike to almost 100 degrees celcius and tried to change the CO level with

the - and + buttons again but the Finished button just won't respond. I also don't get that message any more saying I have to kill the

engine with the kill switch which I did get a couple of days ago when I first tried to change to CO level.

The IAW15xEEPROMTool_V0.04 software throws a can't connect message when I try to use it so instead I used the separate reader and writer sofware.

Is there anything else I can try ?

Thanks !

@docc,
As Gelos advised I used TunerPro to change the CO-trim setting. But instead of using the IAW15xEEPROMTool_V0.04 software with an EEP file which won't connect to my ECU, I used IAW15xReader_V0.67 and IAW15xWriter_V0.26 with BIN files which does the same.

How do I 'turn off' the lambda input ? In TunerPro I can only see the "CO-trim" and "Enable CO-trim" options.

Must I load my bin file together with the 15RC_GuzziDiag_1100_V2.16.xdf file into TunerPro and un-set the "Lambda Control" flag ?
Then save to a new bin file and write that to my ecu ?

Solved but subject to further investigation.
I received a map from another dutch Guzzi rider for a 15RC ecu with the lambda probe 'switched' off. After several fruitless tries I was advices to reset my laptop before writing the updated map to the ecu and that did it !

After this the CO trim had a vlue of 0 in GuzziDiag and I had no problems changing and storing the CO trim.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Like 1