Bolt science.

Lucky Phil

An interesting site for those inclined towards the engineering stuff. The link in particular is vindication of my long held view that spring lock washers are total rubbish ( click on the video test link) The rest of the site has some really interesting fastener information and worth a study. Yes, I dont have a life:)

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/helicalspringwashers.htm

Ciao

• Like 3

I’ve never thought that those sort of washers were much chop but never had any evidence to prove it. I use Schnoores in most applications I feel need it, backed up often with Loctite 243.

Pete

I saw something on a special split washer recently.  Here is a test that shows several more locking solutions, including the Nord-Lock.

This test also shows that nylock bolts do pretty well.

• Like 1

I saw something on a special split washer recently.  Here is a test that shows several more locking solutions, including the Nord-Lock.

This test also shows that nylock bolts do pretty well.

Impressive.

Ciao

I’ve never thought that those sort of washers were much chop but never had any evidence to prove it. I use Schnoores in most applications I feel need it, backed up often with Loctite 243.

Pete

Belt and braces Pete.

Ciao

I feel better, already,  being given to caring about these sorts of things.  :luigi:

Nuts to you, too, gentlemen! :rasta:

IMG_4859.jpg

There is nothing wrong with redundant systems in critical applications.

• Like 1

Cool vid, but if our bikes vibrated like that, we`d be little more than a pile of jello in the saddle with-in seconds.  :o

I wonder how long it took the engineers to find the right frequency to prove their product over others, excellent marketing.

Lockers and lock-tite do just fine, and everyone checks their nuts now and then, right.  ;)

Yeah, those are killer. I use them on the crown wheel of small blocks. Really pricey, though.

not as bad as I expected Chuck.. ..if you don't need stainless

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=1ct7e5z

I'm ordering an assortment of these https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=1ct7gj8  It looks like the bevel spring lock washers and schnoors are the same thing.

I had a front motor mounting socket head bolt unscrew itself and fall out recently. Oddly enough it had no affect on alignment. I only noticed it missing when I had to take the motor out last year.

all good vid's and info btw. the knowledge "bear" should be poked once in awhile.

Edit;  I see the links don't get to the place I wanted to show. you'll need a couple more clicks sorry