Roycam

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my 2001 V11 Sport, hoping someone can help?

After removing and replacing the tank the bike would only fire up on the right cylinder. Having noticed a broken cable on the solenoid valve I replaced it with a manual petcock (just in case) but still only firing on the right.

After checking there was a spark on the left I took the plug cap off the right side and finally got the left to fire up. I let it run for a few minutes, then replaced the right plug cap to fire both up together, but again only the right cylinder would fire. The left cylinder will only fire when the right is not firing.

I'm new to fuel injection, but guessing the problem may be there?

Suggestions appreciated! Thanks

Roy

When it is running on the RH cylinder, is the LH not running at all, or just weakly? A hand on the head or near the exhaust header should tell you if you have a cold cylinder. If the LH cyl is running weakly, it may be that the throttle bodies need synchronizing.

See https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19610.

If synch is good, then this is a puzzle. The ignition coils, injectors, and fuel pump all get +12 volts from the battery via the rear most relay, so it seems less likely to be the problem. The coils & injectors get their ground from the ECU, so possibly unplugging and cleaning the ECU connector could help.

• Like 1

Marty, Thanks for the advice.

I've ordered up a manometer so will balance the throttle bodies when I get it.

I just took the bike up the road, half a mile at most. It was firing on both, but seemed to idle on the right only. The idle speed was racing (don't know how high, rev clock packed up) but very fast, on the right only. Not surprisingly the right cylinder was way hotter than the left when I stopped. Strange, nothing has been tinkered with except for removal of the tank.

Thanks again.

Roy

After you refitted the tank, have you checked that a hose or wiring loom is not touching any throttle body linkages? And checked that the fuel pressure regulator is not nudging the TPS out of position?

• Like 1

Hi, I just took the tank off and checked nothing's in the way of anything else. No problems as far as I can see.

Started it up again, same story. Right side starts at a high idle speed, if I blip the throttle the idle speed starts to climb.. again, right side hotter than left.

A long way from a Guzzi dealer here, may have to try the local bike shop, see what they say.

Thanks

Roy

I would so remove the tank again and go through every accessible connector and connection with an eye to the coils and injectors. Open, clean, treat, and secure.

The coils tend to fall from their mounts. Have these been seen to? (That won't stop the running by itself, but could aggravate the connections.)

I would suspect plug wires or caps on that side.. unscrew the plug cap from the lead and screw it back in to the wire, maybe even cut a small bit off so the contact will be new, if there is enough wire there.. or get new plug wires..

also be sure the plug wire is seated firmly into the coil.

I agree with Chuck, forget balancing the TB's the problem has occured with the tank removal and install. Check the throttle cable isnt hanging up or you have disturbed the throttle bodies on the rubber manifold and introduced an air leak or a crushed fuel hose to the L/H TB or the connector/wiring to the L/H injector. Look at whats possibly been disturbed closely.

Ciao

it's not clear if you have spark on the failed cylinder.  I couldn't follow what you were going with the leads. I find it easy just to pull the boot off and jab in another plug and watch it spark (or not) on the fins on the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I have a spark, but the idle speed is way higher on the right side (too high).

I have checked again and can't see anything disturbed by the tank removal.

I'm thinking now that I'd never properly started the bike since September / October, only turned the engine over until it fired, then switched it off. It's possible the problem existed before I removed the tank then, but probably less likely since it ran fine last summer and tank removal was the only thing I did to the bike after the summer.

I'm thinking of the fuel injection now. I've been using last year's petrol. Is it possible one of the injectors has got gummed up?

I found something on the forum about cleaning the injectors in situ (workshop manual tells me to remove the engine..!) worth a try?