I'm not far behind. I think the real problem is that we don't want to throw away the old stuff even after it's worn out because we know how much we paid for it (a lot!).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just replaced my fifteen year old (!) Alpinestars, but cannot bring myself to pitch them in the trash . . . need a new helmet  . . . what to do with all these old helmets . . . I visualize a Grand Hillside Helmet Roll  . . .

IMG_5019.jpg

• Like 1

I just gave away an old helmet, gloves, boots, and set of leathers to the fine young man who bought my BMW K75s. I've given other gear to other new riders, but I still have some stuff I don't wear much.

I got some new summer gloves this week. So nice and comfy... and the velcro works. Then we need dirt gear and street gear......

I know I cant pass up a bargin, recently I got a new icon jacket for $80 and a pair of $300+ sidi boots for $75.

Just cant seem to have enough, and lord knows cant bring myself to despose of the old worn out kit.

I've given away several jackets over the years.  Gloves get worn out.  Helmets, I dumpster when they've passed their "use by" date. My good "old gear" lives in SoCal in semi retirement. Austin is impressed with the almost new jacket I gave him. He's never had a real one..

The trouble is you need so many types of clothing.

The denim cut-off and original jeans, no gloves or helmet when running with your self styled hard dude mates.

Worn Barbour jacket, old work trousers, open face helmet and rubber boots when riding off road, or green laning as we Brits call it.

Full hi-tech leathers, carbon fibre helmet and kangaroo skin gloves for those thrashes with the fast jap bike set.

Comfy waterproof jacket, plastic trousers, old full face helmet to go to work.

Oversuit to cover your good clothes if going into town and need to look smart.

For years I always rode in a wax cotton jacket, blue jeans and rigger boots. Finally managed to buy a leather Rocker jacket with plenty of zips and studs, and of course my wallet held by achain to my belt. Then I got richer and started buying modern kit that does not seem to last any time.

How do I now about the list of kit, because I still have it all of it.

• Like 3
  • 4 years later...

Since I live here, I purchase a lot of "used" gear on eBay.

Of course, I would not purchase a preowned  helmet, but in my never ending quest to Texas acceptable riding equipment, it turns out an excellent choice. I do purchase new gear too, but I tend to give away gear that I no longer use.

Even if my main riding jacket is one that I purchased in 2003.

I also have an Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 airbag which I only wore a single time. Unfortunately the weather in Texas does not accommodate wearing an airbag underneath your riding jacket, and the airbag cannot be worn on its own.

So maybe a path to explore? selling the gear you no longer use on eBay? for garment, you just need to get them dry cleaned and sanitized. I purchased two jackets and did not get any "strange" smell.

I buy a lot of used gear, as well as off-brands. With a bit of research, you'll find many name brands are mere marketing success stories, and not always a better quality.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:28 PM, p6x said:

...selling the gear you no longer use on eBay?

No good to me. Anything I don't use any more doesn't get used because it is worn out.

That doesn't mean I don't have too much gear. It's just that I do actually use it all from time to time. I still have the Dririder Alpine jacket I bought in Melbourne in about 1992. That really is worn out, but I still wear it occasionally, and can't quite bring myself to throw it out. :)