Swap engine from a 98 1100EV to a V11 sport 2003

antmanbee

I have an EV as well my Sport and hope you can get a Sport engine or modify the EV engine to Sport specs.  If you plan on riding it, the Sport engine offers a lot more performance and satisfaction.  I am sure the gearing and transmission help too.

Can't you fix the crank and rods for less than a different engine?

A pair of Carrillo rods, around $600US and a good second hand crank, probably another $500 and a few hundred for the rebalance. So for around 1300 big ones you get an upgrade and less rotating mass for livelyer performance. 

Ciao

I like Phil's plan.

A second hand motor would probably be the cheapest, easiest, way to get it back on the road. But an EV motor is slower / less powerful. At the least I would look for a second hand V11 sport motor.

Fixing the broken motor is a great opportunity to upgrade and make it even better. And while it will be more work, it should not be that expensive if you can do the work yourself.

A second hand crank re-balanced (and maybe lightened) for the new lighter rods. Check the cam for signs of wear / damage if it was run without oil pressure.

So.. is the crank really toast? Can't regrind it to clean it up? Same deal with the rods. I've seen some pretty nasty looking stuff that cleaned up ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I can write you "a note" . . . .  :nerd:

:sun: "A proper and sustained dose of vibration and wind therapy, applied with a V-twin and mountain air,  is well indicated."  :helmet: 

From my research it looks like the rods are the same. I would think the rest is all valid.

The main issue with swapping motors (if you are not concerned with the power difference) is the rear mounts on the lower engine case. 

Later v11's have a lower sub frame that attaches to the engine block towards the back in the area of the lower bell housing and a EV1100/Jackal engine do not have this mount cast into the block.

An earlier v11 sport engine also does not have this mount. The rear engine mount on the earlier ones is up top with a plate attached to the spine frame and the top 2 bell housing bolts. 

• Like 1

So, you could source a lower rear subframe for a 1999-2001 V11 Sport (or Rossso Mandello) to mount the EV moter?

(The top plate mount is true of the Sport1100/1100Sport-i, but was omitted on the early V11 Sport.)