Interesting four-valve V11 at the Quail this weekend

Surj

Did someone say "MV Agusta Turismo Veloce" and "aesthetically beautiful" in the same sentence? :food:

LOL. Yes, in the same sentence, although you'll notice the descriptors of what I think matters in the bike don't include anything about aesthetics. I do think that bike is attractive, and it arguably shares "20 years later" versions of some V11 design traits: the negative space under the seat, the swoopy lines of the tank, although I'll admit the headlight is a little R1200ST-y. 

But functionally, if you remove concerns about time to get parts and ongoing questions about reliability—something y'all V11 fans can't care that much about—that bike, and other MVs like the Brutale, are some of best motorcycling experiences going, and that's a big part of the attraction for me. 

Being so given to the aesthetics ("in the eye of the beholder") of the motor, itself, it is hard for me to get past an ugly or awkward motor.

When "the line between the lines doen't line up with the lines" a bad feeling ensues . . .

While the MV Augusta impresses me as a gorgeous motorcycle, I honestly can't remember what the motor looks like.

Plus, I grow uneasy pondering what it would be like to keep that MV roadworthy 107,000 miles over the better part of two decades. :mg:

Plus, I grow uneasy pondering what it would be like to keep that MV roadworthy 107,000 miles over the better part of two decades.  :mg:

Plus one brazillion. The Kid had the MV hots a couple of years ago, so being a dutiful father,  :)  went to the MV/duck dealer to look at it. Asked the salesman what happened if the electronics screwed up. He said, "Oh, that won't happen." Asked the Kid if he trusted that pimple faced kid that cross threads your spark plugs to trouble shoot it?  :oldgit:  :whistle: 

Nice looking bike..but.. He likes his Spot better, I'll betcha. 

• Like 1

As I said, "...if you remove concerns about time to get parts and ongoing questions about reliability."

But you guys are talking to someone who bought a Buell after Buell was gone. I'm a lost cause.  :grin: I'm also generally a very utilitarian rider, and this is why I don't own a Turismo or Brutale yet, and why my Rosso isn't my main bike. And the reality is that keeping a V11 going for 100k isn't easy, or within most motorcyclists' reality. You two are lost causes, too.

MVs aren't supposed to be 100k everyday rides. But... ride one, and it'll change your life.

• Like 1

au contraire mon ami.. keeping a V11 going indefinitely is easy. No unobtainium parts, no ultra sophisticated electronics that may or may not be available 20 years from now. Besides that, Italians and electronics give me the willies..  :luigi:   :) Oh, forgot.. no MVdiag available to troubleshoot it yourself. 

Too many possible gotchas for me.. yes, I'm fully aware they are outstanding. I've been spanked by lesser bikes, though.. :grin:

Chuck, deacon, 

Church of Guzzi

Your definition of easy is very different than most motorcyclists. The core: engine, suspension, etc are pretty standard stuff, parts availability isn't that abysmal, and sure, there isn't much in the way of fancy electronics, although that's not a Guzzi vs. MV distinction, it's an old times vs. modern times one. Your concern about parts availability in twenty years is applicable to the bulk of modern motorcycles. 

But a cursory glance at the technical discussions here make it clear that V11s are well beyond "easy" in any normal sense of the word, and "indefinitely" is an awful long time. As an illustrative point, I search for and grab parts for my Rosso with the same urgency I use for the Buell, and Buell doesn't exist any more.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Guzzi vs exotics. About the only thing on the Rosso that is unobtainium is the decal set, as far as I know. A good painter can do those graphics. The plastic is repairable, if not destroyed. I don't know of anything else that isn't readily available and will continue to be readily available.  :huh2:

Tried to find a replacement Veglia tech lately ? 

Just sayin...

:-)

Vt4L

True, but it *won't shut down the motorcycle* if the tach quits. I have a spare Veglia speedo and tach for just that occasion, though.