Oil leak

cash1000

Looks like I've got an oil leak to sort out. Its leaving spots of oil on ground and burning on exhaust. Strange its happened as gaskets were replaced a couple of years ago when I put Roper plate in.

guzzi.jpg

My Sport would accumulate oil there when it was weeping from the bell housing weep hole. Clean it all up (including the back of the engine at the bottom of the clutch housing and spray it with foot powder, go for a ride and look at where the powder is discolored.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18243&hl=%2Bbell+%2Bhousing+%2Bleak

post-328-0-86371900-1382823493_thumb.jpg

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=12253

Hi Marty

As it happens I have got a pair of gaskets but thanks for the offer.

Hi Doc

Are we talking about the hose that runs from front underneath of main frame to back of the motor? Part no 30157400.

That can certainly be a source of oil  that can show up at the back/ bottom of the sump, but there are others. The O-ring for the dipstick and the distributor blanking plate are a couple. They are detailed in that thread I linked.

After the clean up, it would be helpful to see if that weep hole is dry (or not) at the back of the engine on the bottom of the clutch housing. There are some common leak sources inside there.

Hope so, buddy! My oil leak was six things .  .  .  but my V11 is an old tub . . . :mellow:

The "foot powder" method will help rule out the weep hole.  On the "outside" of the bell housing are the mentioned O-rings and the crankcase vent hose. Of course the sump gaskets, but you already did those?

Cleaned off oil from sump etc Friday night. Checked again Saturday oil back again. Cleaned up breather hose tightened hose clamps. Sunday cleaned up sump and went for 100 km ride. Checked for any oil leaks and there where none. Success? Maybe. Got fingers crossed. New hose on order current one showing signs of cracking. Will be in stock in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile off to Dunedin (400ks) this weekend to see family.  Did trip up to Blenheim via Kaikoura Quake coast a couple of weeks ago with leak so should be ok. Still getting dirt of bike - lots of road works. www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyNjMnUkhww. Not my pictures.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Replaced hose. Fun task that was. Ended up removing coils and fuel pump to get better access. Used rubber grease on inside of end's of hose and pipe. Made hose much easier to slip over end of pipe. It took 6 weeks to get hose but price was only $NZ20.

Doc, if not there already, checking this hose would be a good add to the list of things to check when the tank is off.

• Like 2

Thanks, cash!  Yeah, this is in the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist:

>Inspect the crank case vent breather hose (30 15 7400)  under the frame that ventilates the crankcase. It clamps on above the "bell housing" that houses the clutch assembly. If it cracks, collapses, or gets loose the vented oil will emerge from the lower bell housing weep hole making you think the rear main seal is gone.  There is a heater hose that can be fitted for this application, but the consensus is that the rubber will not tolerate the exposure to oil.