Damaged carbon exhaust muffler

Tinus89

Hey all,

As you may know, I spent a trip with my father to the Alps. Great driving and all went well... except for a small collision.

I was driving in front, my dad made a mistake and hit me from behind. His bike contacted my swingarm on the right side, and my muffler.

Damage: a dent in the backside of the swingarm, the muffler pushed inwards a bit and a long scratch in the right side muffler:

Exhaust_2.jpg

Close up

Exhaust_1.jpg

The pushed in muffler and the dent to the swingarm, I will repair myself. For the muffler cover however, I do not want to.

It is the second time it happened (first time it was the left side and I repaired the damage myself) and therefore I decided I don't want to put time/money into fixing the carbon fibre.

My dad is willing to pay or call his insurance and he was at fault (both times).

Question: any ideas on how I can solve this? I can't find a used muffler anywhere. Stein Dinse claims to have a new one, for 1200EUR :ninja:.

Any advice?

Pick out a set of nice new mufflers, and let insurance pay for it.  Being "dad", his rates probably won't go up much and you might as well get some of that insurance money that's been getting paid back for once.

You could have some made for less than 1200EUR. There are plenty of places who can make carbon fiber parts for little money. It's not much harder than fiberglass to work with now. Heck, a motivated person could do it themselves. Just get some pre-impregnated carbon fiber, wrap around the muffler and let it set.

I have an extra set of stock '03 but are not CF. They are the black metal wrapped ones. You can have for 125.US. but I can't imagine what shipping would be :o!

personally, I would get some nice aftermarket, more open, (louder) mufflers. you'll thank yourself.

Right? So many better options than those "carbon fiber wrapped" LaFranconi canisters. My early Guzzi "Off-Road Only" accessory (Mistral) canisters must be 1/4" (6mm) thick of carbon fiber.

So many great sounding, better running canisters than the factory (constrained) parts . . .  :race:

If I may jump into this topic for a related question... :rolleyes:  I want to do a couple of small CF repairs and don't know squat about it. This - https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-only-real-carbon-fiber-cloth-plain-4K-weave-kit-and-epoxy-resin-for-repair/282908515374?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649-  guy has several kits, but are different "weaves" 3k 4k 6k etc... I'm not sure what matters. Anyone have experience? I'm just going to get one and have at it. thanks :luigi:

• Like 1

I think I still have a pair of CF mufflers in my garage. I'll check them this evening to see if they aren't damaged.

I live near Rotterdam.

I think I still have a pair of CF mufflers in my garage. I'll check them this evening to see if they aren't damaged.

I live near Rotterdam.

Please do let me know!

Right? So many better options than those "carbon fiber wrapped" LaFranconi canisters. My early Guzzi "Off-Road Only" accessory (Mistral) canisters must be 1/4" (6mm) thick of carbon fiber.

So many great sounding, better running canisters than the factory (constrained) parts . . .  :race:

I know. I have been in contact with dad and we together decided Insurance is the way to go.

That means.... I should have two options:

- Find a used one (or set) for less money

- Find a nice set of aftermarket once. As I see this as an opportunity: what would you guys recommend? :food:

Pretty sure that MG Cycle has a relationship with Stein-Dinse, and you can definitely get Mistrals from Stein-Dinse.

The CF mufflers I have lying around look fine. No scratches or anything but if I recall correctly one of them has a very small leak somewhere.

If you want them I'll be willing to sell them for a small price.

Thanks Walterg, PM sent!

On the aftermarket cans: I definitely see this as an opportunity! But which would you guys prefer for sound+engine quality? Mistral oval? Mistral Titanium?

One remark: I would like to keep the possibility of taking someone for a ride, i.e. passenger footrests.

Most if not all of the aftermarket cans work with the stock passenger footpegs.  Based on the few aftermarket cans that I've heard the larger oval cans are a little quieter than the round cans.  My MG Ti cans dent really easily.  If I was looking for replacements I'd go CF.

The crossover will effect how the bikes sounds too.  The stock crossover is the quietest, Stucchi/Ferracci is a little louder than stock, and the Mistral is louder still.

The chrome MASS mufflers I have were a direct replacement for the originals. No changes to the bike were necessary so i could keep the original footrests.

The guy at MASS also offered different options for shape, colour or finishing for the same price. I payed € 825 for the pair including postage.

I have a set from my 04 Cafe Sport. Infact I could just send you the sleeve for the carbon fibre cover. They slide on and off once you remove the muffler tip. Could cost you less in shipping....however if you have insurance paying for it.......