I think I got it, well most of the Cough

not-fishing

Has it really been since August 2018??

Rode to Utah and Nevada rallies with the poor state of tune.  I lost the tach bezel somewhere in Nevada along Hwy 50 - downside of extended triple digit speeds - the only way to make Hwy 50 interesting.

My Duc mechanic said he needed bungs for his sniffers to tune so I cut the balance tube off the stock headers and after waiting 3 months for my #3 son to weld them.  I got tired of waiting and found another old stainless steel fabricator to weld the holes closed.

I downloaded Guzzidiag and found the cylinder temp gage was working.

Yesterday I dropped the bike off with the Duc Mechanic and he just gave me the bad news.  The TPS is all over the place and the tune won't hold.  He gave me the litany of possibilities but I suspect the TPS (even though it's maybe 4000 miles or 1 year old) and the ECU.  So I'm going to purchase another TPS from Ca-cycleworks .... and send my ECU to Jeffries at MYECU for a rebuild.

The saga continues......

• 5 months later...

Well after riding the Lemans in the 100+ California heat with it being almost unrideable I've decided to "fall back and punt" on the fix.

Today I just got back from a 10 hour round trip to deliver the V11 to The Zen House in Point Arena, Ca.  David has experience with V11's so I'm hopeful he'll find the problem.

Report in a few weeks on the results.

• 2 years later...
On 7/28/2019 at 7:32 PM, not-fishing said:

Well after riding the Lemans in the 100+ California heat with it being almost unrideable I've decided to "fall back and punt" on the fix.

Today I just got back from a 10 hour round trip to deliver the V11 to The Zen House in Point Arena, Ca.  David has experience with V11's so I'm hopeful he'll find the problem.

Report in a few weeks on the results.

So what ended up happening?

• Like 1

Ha.

Probably sorted - or simply got fed up with try this try that confetti approach to a remedy.

Whenever remedies appear like minestrone soup - it’s time to simply stop - first, do no harm.

Just attempting any fingers crossed fix in lieu a proper diagnosis first - is like a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn’t there.

Frustrating.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

Ha.

Probably sorted - or simply got fed up with try this try that confetti approach to a remedy.

Whenever remedies appear like minestrone soup - it’s time to simply stop - first, do no harm.

Just attempting any fingers crossed fix in lieu a proper diagnosis first - is like a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn’t there.

Frustrating.

I like the idea of getting a proper diagnostic before an intervention.

In the case of a V11, the piecemeal approach is the only one available at this time, for motorbikes who are no longer in production.

The evolution of electronics have now gone to the point where equipment can alert the user of a malfunction, even ahead of time, and in some cases, identify the exact component that needs to be calibrated or replaced. I am not necessarily referring to the automotive industry.

The trial and error has been the method of choice for decades before the Predictive Maintenance replaced it. We had to use oscilloscopes to monitor analogical signals, and rely upon our skills to pick the module that did not perform as expected. Verify the components, find the culprit, and verify the problem is no longer there. Sometimes, there were no clear cut answer. So we had to change components and test again, and repeat.

Back to V11, there are a series of checks and tune ups that have been proposed elsewhere in the forum, and it is up to the individual to acquire the necessary tools, or to find a workshop to delegate the task.

I have purchased all the equipment, but before I start intervening, I am in the testing phase. I am making sure the problem can be reproduced, and how and when it happens. That, and taking stoke of the other owner's experience as reported in the various forums.

I wish it was straight forward, but it never is. I may live with the V11's coughing every now and then, or I will try to get it better. But I will proceed by steps. 

• Like 2