Fuel Tap

LowRyter

I've had many issues with those Guzzi fuel taps, manual and electrical.

The tap on my Sport was so stiff that I needed pliers to shut it off or on and the thing would leak needing constant tightening.  It finally failed altogether.  It was replaced with just a generic flange and male connector with no shut off. At least I got to take my trip to Arkansas (I brought a cork with me to fit the male connector, just in case.

Anyway, I am trying to find a quick connect shut-off vs purchasing a new petcock, flange and O ring for $70 or so.

So two questions.  

First, does anyone know where I can find a female to male quick connect shut off to keep what I have?

Second, I am looking at the parts break out (see link).  It looks like the petcock is in the forward location on the tank, reversed with fuel sensor as installed on my bike. So shouldn't the petcock be installed in the rear?

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-le-mans-sport-naked-1100-2001-2002/fuel-tank-en-v11-lemans-sport-naked-2001-2002.html

thanks as always for help for my stupid questions.  

Easy to answer the first half of the first half of the first question: ("First, does anyone know where I can find a female . . . [ ?]")

A: nope ;)

Seriously, second question: yep, the parts manual pictures the devices in reverse. The petcock is to the rear.

that's cruel Docc.

Haha, well, it's easy to paraphrase questions for bit of fun and totally dodge the issue .  .  . :whistle:

For sure, I never noticed the Parts Manual is in error on the location of those two parts. Good call, there! :thumbsup:

yes, Docc.   well, I guess you could send me a new batch or relays.   LMAO.

Truly, I was worried I had to take the tap off again and reposition it.  I only have a cork to keep the gas offa me.  

For quick disconnects and fuel cutoff valves that are generic, go to a boat shop or on line catalog like West Marine.  Don't buy plastic bits, spring some bucks for the metal ones.  Ask any BMW RT owner why.

• Like 1

3/8 inch opening on the fitting and 1/2 inside diameter hose to fit it.  Went to a boat shop and hardware stores, no luck.

I might bite the bullet and spend $70 for the crappy OEM petcock and flange, or just keep a cork. 

The tap on my Sport was so stiff that I needed pliers to shut it off or on and the thing would leak needing constant tightening.  It finally failed altogether.  It was replaced with just a generic flange and male connector with no shut off. At least I got to take my trip to Arkansas (I brought a cork with me to fit the male connector, just in case.

Anyway, I am trying to find a quick connect shut-off vs purchasing a new petcock, flange and O ring for $70 or so.

So two questions.  

First, does anyone know where I can find a female to male quick connect shut off to keep what I have?

Second, I am looking at the parts break out (see link).  It looks like the petcock is in the forward location on the tank, reversed with fuel sensor as installed on my bike. So shouldn't the petcock be installed in the rear?

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-le-mans-sport-naked-1100-2001-2002/fuel-tank-en-v11-lemans-sport-naked-2001-2002.html

Why shut the manual tap off at all? mine stays open all the time as any fuel supply to an EFI fuel pump normally does. The only reason motorcycles were ever fitted with vacuum fuel taps and the silly Guzzi electronic fuel tap was for US laws that mandated the fuel supply is isolated in the event of the fuel tank flying off in an accident and liberating from the bike. We all no doubt have seen many times fuel tanks flying accross the sky off the bike during an accident. Sometimes I cant walk the streets for fuel tanks flying about post accidents.

Ciao   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I leave the manual petcock open all the time - only close it to remove the tank. FWIW - I also have to use pliers to completely close it.

If you don't install a petcock on a model with an external fuel pump, then you will have to drain the tank before removing it. So I do think there is some value in reinstalling a petcock.

Obviously, the tanks with internal fuel pumps have no petcock.

Scud, Yes, I only have to close the fuel tap when removing the tank.  Rather than drain it, I'll try using the cork.

BTW- if yours is so stiff that you need pliers, I think that is an indication that you'll need to replace it.  The new replacement on my EV is easily finger tight.  In my case the flange as well as the petcock was starting to leak- perhaps because I used pliers to open and close it?

The flange, petcock, "O" ring and stuff are about $70.  I think I'd rather have an inline shut off and hope to find one.

So two questions.  

Why shut the manual tap off at all? mine stays open all the time as any fuel supply to an EFI fuel pump normally does. The only reason motorcycles were ever fitted with vacuum fuel taps and the silly Guzzi electronic fuel tap was for US laws that mandated the fuel supply is isolated in the event of the fuel tank flying off in an accident and liberating from the bike. We all no doubt have seen many times fuel tanks flying accross the sky off the bike during an accident. Sometimes I cant walk the streets for fuel tanks flying about post accidents.

Ciao   

I only shut off the fuel when removing the tank to service the bike.  However, it started to leak intermittently which is why it was replaced.  Now I have no shut off now, but I have cork if I remove the tank.  Not the optimal solution.

I have 2 of the twist screw type petcocks and both are not smooth in operation. Its worth having one fitted as others have pointed out for tank removal. The original electric Guzzi one is just a failure waiting to happen for mine.

Ciao