Motobits rearset - sloppy

not-fishing

I've got a set of Motobits rearsets on my Lemans and find the shifting sloppy.

I've gone through the Motobits, cleaned, lubed and tightened the assembly.

The problem seems to be the long bolt and sleeve that attaches the Motobits shifter rod to the shift lever on the V11.  You have to install the "thru-bolt" slightly loose so not to bind the shift arm but in doing so add a fair amount of play at the motobits rod.

Anybody have a fix?

I keep thinking of some way to triangulate the long-bolt sleeve assembly to the shift rod would take out the play making the shifts more positive.

Right now the shifts remind of my '72 Ghia -----the gear is there you just have to find it shifting---

Mark

"You have to install the "thru-bolt" slightly loose so not to bind the shift arm but in doing so add a fair amount of play at the motobits rod."

I think that's your problem.  All of the bolts on my MB setup are tight and there's no binding.  The link that attaches to the long bolt/sleeve has a heim joint that should rotate freely.  There shouldn't be any slop at all at the shift arm attachment.

Hmm, what about a large washer against the shift-arm? 

Didn't come with one - another item to remedy.

I think that's your problem.  All of the bolts on my MB setup are tight and there's no binding.  The link that attaches to the long bolt/sleeve has a heim joint that should rotate freely.  There shouldn't be any slop at all at the shift arm attachment.

You know I might just buy a new nylock nut along with some nylon washers and tighten the setup again.

One thing I noticed was the factory shift arm was sloppy on the shaft.  Maybe after 14 years that needs to be replaced........

My other thought was to use my modeling experience along with fly tying to place a 45 degree support rod on the mechanism and thread wrap/super glue it to the mechanism to remove slop.

The shift arm shouldn't be sloppy at all on the shift shaft if the pinch bolt is tight.

I don't know where you would add nylon washers.  As long as that through bolt is good and tight there shouldn't be slop unless the heim joints in the MotoBits linkage are wearing out.

The tip of the stock shift arm will eventually break with the MotoBits kit unless it is reinforced.  See this thread for more info:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19976&hl=motobits&do=findComment&comment=221633

I overdid it when I had mine done.  Just adding a bead of weld to the inside radius of the shift arm tip would probably have been adequate.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed was the factory shift arm was sloppy on the shaft.  Maybe after 14 years that needs to be replaced........

:ninja:

:ninja:

HEY! My sport resembles that remark! :oldgit: