universal joint replacement

Pressureangle

Don't ask why.  :huh: 

I need a 22x50,20 Della Concordia CR 748 universal joint. No such animal exists in the USA. The $6 Chinese version wasn't even good for a paperweight, nor as a bought lesson. 

Is anyone on this list in Italy, able to supply one (or two) and take payment? At this point I hardly care what the handling cost is. Nobody in Italy wants to ship to the U.S. over the internet. 

And I don't trust the Russians. 

• 2 months later...

IMG_6188.jpg

With a used shaft coming for the Sport's lately expired unit, it seems prudent to give it fresh U-joints.  The Della Concordia factory in Italy is, of course, closed until late August.  I believe I found a good email address for Technomec in Montreal. I'm hoping to hear from them in the morning and learn what it takes to get goods from our provincial neighbors these days . . . :huh:

B) > Come alone. Bring cash. No cops.

• Sad 1

I spoke, by phone, with this supplier today. The gentleman was very courteous. They generally do not supply customers directly. So, waiting for a quote, by email, in Canadian dollars which I send by mail. The product then sent to me , by mail. :mellow:

And here I was perfectly willing to show up alone, with cash (Canadian dollars, even!), no Mounties . . . ;)

• Haha 2

LOL forgot to finish this tale.

The new DC u-joints fit perfectly in the yokes- they are slightly less tight than the originals, which were a tough move. The included grease zerks are so large that they hit the yokes; I had to find smaller zerks on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pieces-Metric-Grease-Fitting-M8-M8X1-M8X1-0-Zerk-Nipple-45-Degree-Deg-L-CA/201786925134?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You'd have thought I'd have noticed that and kept the stock one, right? Don't fail to keep it. 

I installed the u-joint, after careful consideration, with the zerk facing forward, hoping to ease access. Of course, I didn't consider the zerk-to-shaft clearance which is negative, ghost rider. Fortunately also, the new joints have a slightly different cross structure than the originals, allowing fairly simple removal and repositioning the zerk back to the rear.

At the end of the day, everything went back together exactly as Mother Goose intended. Trying to out-engineer Italian engineers fails if you don't have any idea why they did what they did. So, I merely pulled a very long, expensive, intensive regular maintenance on the shaft and drive. 

I used Mobil Xtreme Grease on the joints, replacing the stock lightweight stuff in the caps before intallation and Jet-Lube open gear lube on the splines. 

All that, and discovering and correcting the yokes being un-tight on the splines of both ends has made everything much smoother and with noticeably less driveline lash. 

Now, if I can get out on the darn thing.

• Like 3

Too, cool. Thanks, Pressureangle!  :thumbsup:

So, even the undersized Zerk cannot be faced forward on the front U-joint cross? (That would be such a great access solution with minimal modification of the scattershield collar!) :huh2:

Four business days and I have an offer to ship two Della Concordia CR15 U-joints, without prepayment, from the Canadian supplier, Technomec. $66.70 US including all freight, taxes, and duties.  I think this is an excellent offer.

Thanks, again, Pressureangle!

• Like 2

You *might* be able to have the zerk forward if you use the stock low-profile zerk from the original joint. It appeared to be easy enough, but I can't be sure as I didn't have the original zerk anymore and didn't care at that point to swap out the one from the rear joint just to test it. It's entirely possible that the space between the yokes would still be too tight for an unaltered grease head. At the end of the day, I'll modify something to fit and or remove the rear wheel for greasing. With the Xtreme grease I'd like to think they'll survive this 7500 mile trip without being regreased. That is if I ever leave the house, I'd thought about 15 Aug for the start date and I'm here typing 5 days late.

• Like 1

Looks like I’ll have the U-joints next week. That’s just two weeks from when the driveshaft failed.

Pretty great for fairly rare Italian parts coming from another country! :thumbsup:

Thanks again to Pressureangle for doing the sourcing.  With two driveshafts at hand, I am hoping to do some deeper inspection of the existing U-joints and try to asses if the front cross can be flipped to face the Zerk forward and modify the scattershield collar for greasing access without drama or developing a New Zealander's (dangerous :grin: ) vocabulary.

• Like 3

I remembered something today and re visited the Dayton workshop manual. if you look at the servicing schedule it says for the "shaft with drive joints" "In the event of sporting use or regular high speed travel" REPLACE every 15,000 klms.

So lube every 5000klms and replace every 15,000. Less regular lubing but more replacing than an O ring chain.

Ciao

I recall a member here who noted that the Daytona shaft has no provision for lubrication (?), and the language in the manual was simply carried over unchanged, even though the V11 shaft added three lubrication points.

Is this valid?

I recall a member here who noted that the Daytona shaft has no provision for lubrication (?), and the language in the manual was simply carried over unchanged, even though the V11 shaft added three lubrication points.

Is this valid?

V11 calls for "Maintenance - Check - Adjustment- Eventual replacement " every 12000 miles or 2 years whichever first. The Matrix has a header "Kilometers covered" then goes on to identify each mileage column in Miles :huh2:  

Sound like there's a lot of arse covering at Guzzi:)

Ciao

Is this valid?

Yes. It was simply a cut and paste. Probably with scissors.. :rasta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2