universal joint replacement

Pressureangle

U-joints in hand! Two weeks from the break-down! So great. Thanks to  :notworthy: Albert at Technomec in Montreal! :thumbsup:

(Complete with French language newspaper packing material ! :grin: )

The universal joints are impressively small, free from the prop shaft (wine cork added for scale):

IMG_6315.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just bought my V-11 universal joints from Technomec in Montreal. They even opened a PayPal account to ease the USD-to-Cnd exchange rate. Two u-joints and postage - Montreal to Seattle - was $59.42 USD.

• Like 4

Hey, I really think my shaft failed from poor assembly practices (crossed the threads and re-used them) and complications of a crash.

Don't cross the threads!

"Important safety tip!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Basic question … do I have to take off the swingarm in order to replace the u-joints? It sure seems that way. I thought the front u-joint would fit through the swingarm tunnel. Am I missing a trick?

Removing the swingarm is not that difficult. You have to have a way to support the bike. (Remember to measure the standoff of the swingarm pins. Either relocate them on reassembly or choose another method to "locate/center" the swingarm within the FrameSidePlates.

It will be much easier to remove, and carefully, replace the shaft pinch bolts.

With the swingarm out, you can also see to other important things . . .

[Not sure about the fit through the tunnel; never thought of doing it that way.  Just seems really hard to get back together well that way.]

I see it’s already touched on here a little in this thread, but is the general trend for folks to replace that u-joint every 10k miles (very roughly 15k kilometers, rounded...)?

i would venture a wag that some do, and many don’t, but that’s my question..  Do we have any (or many?) 1st hand accounts of failure?   Curious.  I saw the notation of guzzi CYA in this thread, which is what I can’t help but wonder.  I would say Better safe than sorry, but sometimes the margin of safety can get a bit overblown?

Maybe I am lucky, but at nearly 80,000 miles both of the u-joints i am replacing feel fine. I have driveline slop and it must be something else. I will know more tomorrow.

I had over 200.000 km on my first V11 and the U-joints didn't show any signs of wear. In fact they still were stiff in all directions. I greased them once a year or so, maybe once every two. It's in fact one of the more robust parts on a V11. Not that I haven't seen failed ones though ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luhbo said:

I had over 200.000 km on my first V11 and the U-joints didn't show any signs of wear. In fact they still were stiff in all directions. I greased them once a year or so, maybe once every two. It's in fact one of the more robust parts on a V11. Not that I haven't seen failed ones though ...

Sounds like how my body feel every morning.

Ciao

• Haha 1