Ignition gremlins - No fire !

vents

Greetings Guzzi brethren ,   

I parked my '03 Sport naked for the winter late last year and it was running fine .This spring it would not start . So, I've pulled the plugs and low and behold they are not firing . Not just one of them but both of them . I tested a couple of new plugs because they were handy and still no spark .

Any ideas ? I did run a trickle type maintainer on the battery over the winter . 

this is not the way I wanted to start the season . I hate electrical issues !

I'm assuming the starter is turning the motor.

Fuses come first.  My '07 Griso had a short that would kill the engine then after I replaced the fuse run for a week or so until it happened again.  I finally traced the short to the fuel pump.  which I pulled, removed tested (pump was good) then reassembled now I haven't seen the short reappear in nearly a year.

On my '04 Lemans I think I'm chasing an intermittent spark loss when hot so I've added a ground to one of the coils

I'm replacing the ignition wires and one coil.  If the coil partially or wholly cures it I'll replace the other.

In your case I'd next think about the cam sensor.......

I'm assuming the starter is turning the motor.

Fuses come first.  

Yes, the starter is spinning the motor and the fuses have been checked .

Remove the aft two relays, squirt some DeOxit in the bases, reinstall the relays, and wiggle them around. Might as well do it to all of them while you're at it.

• Like 2

What Chuck sez. :thumbsup:  (That's a pretty safe bet, always . . .  :grin:  )

The ignition/ injection harness is totally separate on the V11 from the lighting/ starting / charging systems. 

-->> Back two relays, front two fuses.

The front two fuses also have four spade connector under them (bottom of the fuse block). Pry the fuse block out of the rubber mounts and inspect the front four connectors/ clean, treat with DeOxit and secure).

gallery_328_223_160743.jpeg

• Like 1

First of all, does the fuel pump do it's two second prime when you turn the key On?

The ECU relay should close when you turn the key On

The ECU power relay should close for about 2 seconds then open

When the bike cranks over this relay should close again, as the ECU picks up pulses from the Crank Position Sensor

You haven't removed the crank position sensor by any chance e.g. to fix an oil leak

• Like 1

First of all, does the fuel pump do it's two second prime when you turn the key On?

The ECU relay should close when you turn the key On

The ECU power relay should close for about 2 seconds then open

When the bike cranks over this relay should close again, as the ECU picks up pulses from the Crank Position Sensor

You haven't removed the crank position sensor by any chance e.g. to fix an oil leak

No sir , I put fresh treated non ethanol fuel in it and parked it for the winter .  I'll chase down all of these suggestions as soon as possible . thanks in advance !

Its really helpful to know what these 2 relays are doing

Wrap a small wire around the 87 pin and run to a small 12V lamp with the other side to chassis

If the pump is not doing its 2 second prime look no further.

I have known the pumps to gum up, sometimes they can be jolted free.

• Like 1

Just got a chance to turn the key ON and there was dead silence ......  

How about some voltage readings at the battery?

A 100% AGM @ 77ºF/25ºC reads 12.84vDC . . .

("trickle maintainer" battery chargers can kill an AGM battery . . .)

Greetings Guzzi brethren ,   

I parked my '03 Sport naked for the winter late last year and it was running fine .This spring it would not start . So, I've pulled the plugs and low and behold they are not firing . Not just one of them but both of them . I tested a couple of new plugs because they were handy and still no spark .

Any ideas ? I did run a trickle type maintainer on the battery over the winter . 

this is not the way I wanted to start the season . I hate electrical issues !

Your original post indicated that the bike was turning over, your second confirmed that.

Now it's not turning.

Often what happens is the lead Oxide creeps in between the battery terminal and lug completely disconnecting it.

First of all remove the battery terminals, give them a good scrape and put back with a smear of Vaseline, same for the main ground point.

The Vaseline excludes the air, with no Oxygen the Lead won't oxidize.

Check the battery Voltage before and while cranking.

Listen for the pump priming

It's too noisy when the motor is turning over to hear if the pump cuts back in, that's why I suggest a bulb on the relay / 87 pin

• Like 1

Just got a chance to turn the key ON and there was dead silence ......  

I turned the key on . I did not touch the starter button . The starter and battery are fine . No worries there .

When I turned the key on , the fuel pump did not activate. That is all that I was trying to say.

The spark plugs are not firing and now I know that the fuel pump is not activating when I turn the key on . 

You have a voltmeter or a test light?

Let's focus on Relay 5 and its power supply (through Fuse 2).

With the seat off, touch Relay 5 ( most aft) and turn the ignition and RunSwitch on. You should be able to feel it go "Click-clickety-click" . . .  Yes or no?

yes I do . My work load won't allow me to really dig into this right now , but battery voltage is 12.7v

Cool. At  80-90ºF, that battery is about 87-88%. So, okay for now. It's not the problem here, but when it falls off to 12.65v (80%), the AGM should be discharged and charged with more than 6 amps until it's voltage reaches 14.7 (no more than 15.0v).

Easiest thing to check quickly is the *Click-clickety-click* of  Relay 5.  You can feel it when the RunSwitch goes on.