Okay, I Done Did It ...

Nihontochicken

My 01 manual says 3.5 Litres of Agip 4T Super racing SAE 20W/50 oil

Correction - I think 10W/60 is recommended as Chuck says

That's what I used when I had it

I think Motoul full synthetic would be a good substitute for Agip

Even though it's expensive she's worth it :notworthy:

If you happen to find Agip be sure to shake the bottle as it settles out.

Congratulations on the fine bike.

Even though it's expensive she's worth it :notworthy:

If you happen to find Agip be sure to shake the bottle as it settles out.

RedLine 20w-50 true synthetic checks out as one of the best oils for V11, widely available (online), and as little as $10US/qt.

Wow, it never occurred to me to shake the oil bottle before pouring! :blush:

RedLine 20w-50 true synthetic checks out as one of the best oils for V11, widely available (online), and as little as $10US/qt.

Agreed. Redline is a true syn.

Wow, it never occurred to me to shake the oil bottle before pouring!  :blush:

Yeah, Agip, in particular, settles for whatever reason.

Agreed. Redline is a true syn.

Wow, it never occurred to me to shake the oil bottle before pouring!  :blush:

Yeah, Agip, in particular, settles for whatever reason.

So . . . I don't need to shake my RedLine?

Thanks for the various recommendations. Looking at specs, prices and testimonials, I'm leaning toward Red Line 10W60.  Comments?

As I do further research, I'm unsure what I've gotten onto with this hot Italian firecracker.  Seems her family has some genetic behavioral disorders, such as gas tank venting, crankcase venting and oil starvation.  So now I know what a Roper plate is!  Speaking of which, are there current sources for a Roper kit?  Or an engineering drawing for DIY?  :luigi:

It boggles the mind that such a significant engineering flaw should escape the factory, and for years, no less.  Now I'm well past the age for pulling wheelies, but I have to avoid long uphills???  That's pretty lame.  So just ride slowly on flat ground.  Hmmmmm, somewhat less excitement than I anticipated.  Oh, well, she sure looks fast! 

BTW, instead of a Roper plate, as someone else asked, is it at all possible to reconfigure the engine oil pickup tube design so as to move the intake orifice rearward to the middle of the sump?  TIA for informed opinion!  :thumbsup:   

I'm leaning toward Red Line 10W60. 

Unless it's changed, it's not SG rated oil, either. *Most* of the Redline oils are, though. If you have to choose between ratings, take the one that is SG over just being 10-60.

There are a lot more cars than motorcycles that call for 10-60. The manufacturers are making car oil in that grade, with a few exceptions.

Speaking of which, are there current sources for a Roper kit? 

The last I knew.. Mike Haven (MPH Cycles) had a few.

Hi, back with old and new questions.

Old #1: Any current source for a Roper plate or kit?

Old #2 (follow up): Is Red Line 20W50 indeed SG rated and a better V11 lube than their 10W60?

New: Okay, V11s sound mechanical, but the clattering when the clutch lever is pulled in is rather remarkable.  "They all do that" (???).  From reading other threads, it appears that this is just a Guzzi aria, learn to love the music (but don't leave the scooter in gear at stoplights)?  Correct interpretation?

BTW, if you think riding street bikes is dangerous, try walking your dog.  I and my pooch were just mowed down today in a town crosswalk, driver said he didn't see us due to glare on his windshield.  He stopped at the intersection, but came at us from the far side of the crossing and got us at maybe 15 mph.  Thankfully it was a low slung car, a Mazda Miata, so I went over the top.  His bumper hit my right shin (abrasion) and my left knee hit the middle of his hood, leaving a long dent (abrasions for me), and I finally bounced off his windshield (no breakage) and fell on the pavement on the driver's side (tweaked neck, shoulder and ribs).  My dog Lacy didn't fare as well as she went under, nothing broken, but some nasty flesh damage, a kilobuck so far in vet fees and counting (the drain comes out on Tuesday).  At least the driver has insurance.  I guess I can cross this one off the life experience list.  :huh2:

Hi, back with old and new questions.

Old #1: Any current source for a Roper plate or kit?

Old #2 (follow up): Is Red Line 20W50 indeed SG rated and a better V11 lube than their 10W60?

New: Okay, V11s sound mechanical, but the clattering when the clutch lever is pulled in is rather remarkable.  "They all do that" (???).  From reading other threads, it appears that this is just a Guzzi aria, learn to love the music (but don't leave the scooter in gear at stoplights)?  Correct interpretation?

BTW, if you think riding street bikes is dangerous, try walking your dog.  I and my pooch were just mowed down today in a town crosswalk, driver said he didn't see us due to glare on his windshield.  He stopped at the intersection, but came at us from the far side of the crossing and got us at maybe 15 mph.  Thankfully it was a low slung car, a Mazda Miata, so I went over the top.  His bumper hit my right shin (abrasion) and my left knee hit the middle of his hood, leaving a long dent (abrasions for me), and I finally bounced off his windshield (no breakage) and fell on the pavement on the driver's side (tweaked neck, shoulder and ribs).  My dog Lacy didn't fare as well as she went under, nothing broken, but some nasty flesh damage, a kilobuck so far in vet fees and counting (the drain comes out on Tuesday).  At least the driver has insurance.  I guess I can cross this one off the life experience list.  :huh2:

Oh, man.. sorry for you and your dog.

Unless they have changed it in the last couple of years.. yes. the 20-50 is still SG rated.

"They all do that" (???).  From reading other threads, it appears that this is just a Guzzi aria, learn to love the music (but don't leave the scooter in gear at stoplights)?  Correct interpretation?

Correct. When you pull in the clutch lever, the 2 clutch plate and intermediate plate splines are free to rattle back and forth on the splines of the transmission input shaft. Not much, mind you, but that is what you are hearing. If done for long enough, it will wear a flat spot on the input shaft and cause you some grief. Bump it into neutral at stop lights, etc. When you let out on the clutch lever, the springs will hold all those parts tightly and no wear will take place.

That is another reason to keep the rpms up at idle. There will be less shaking when the clutch lever is pulled in.

+1 on neutral at stops and keep the idle on the high side. Something my hard head had to learn the head-headed way. :rolleyes:

The practice of holding the clutch while stopped in gear "might" have contributed to my Sport walking its input gear off . :huh2:

76,000 miles of wear here:

IMG_2566.JPG.jpeg

I've used a bunch of different oils in the Sport over 106,000 miles while trying to read and study and understand the issues. What a moving target that has been! I'm really happy with the RedLine 20W-50. But, it's still a "loosely based", amateur opinion. Albeit, perhaps, an informed one. :nerd:

Glad you and the pooch are gonna be okay after beating up that Miata!

Okay, thanks for the oil and clutch updates.  Still looking for a Roper plate/kit source.  Any available?  I've canvassed the ether, but my search foo is admittedly weak.

As an aside, got a phone call a bit ago from the guy who ran into my dog and myself today.  Seems like a nice young guy who made a regrettable error.  Works at the Alzheimer's care center on the corner of the accident intersection.  The mistake will cost him in insurance rates, but we're all lucky, it could have been much worse.

Wow, good to hear of decent folks in the world who care. :thumbsup:

If it makes you feel any better I've been running over 100,000 miles with no plate. I have long kept my oil level topped up, and that "may have" pushed some of my oil leak history . . .  :huh2:

Lots of folks swear by the plates. Pete swears routinely and eloquently like no other . . . :grin:  He could have a retirement career training sailors in the craft . . .

The plate makes sense. Pete does a run of them from time to time. If your going to fit one, get the genuine article. :thumbsup: