Aftermarket Mufflers - Mistrals

swooshdave

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, footgoose said:

If your Mistral is Ti and built like this Guzzi Ti can, with a sleeve, 2 end caps,  a strap covering the end caps, and some stuff inside, then drill out the rivets and pull it apart. Everything should slide out. Might be some sticky stuff holding the glass fiber, use yer knife.

IMG_0438.JPG

put the sleeve over something to use as a dolly and tap away, gently. Any imperfections in the dolly or hammer surface will show on the metal.

IMG_0440.JPG

get some new alm pop rivets and pop back together. 3m scratch pad and sand paper to get some finish back. polish if needed. It ain't perfect but it worked for me. Most of the damage was covered by the hanger strap.

IMG_0456.JPG

It only took a few hours and a year later I fell over again so I get to fix it again! (that's why alm rivets) A bit more difficult this time, as you can see on the end cap...

IMG-1311.JPG

Jesus Foot.... be gentle with that unobtanium...

Got to admire you rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in there.

The sleeve on my mistral is proper knackered though- badly torn.  The metal is so thin too, it’d take a tig-wielding Gandalf to fix that.  Plus the finish on them is a dull matt, so I’d think tricky to blend a repair.

I’ve got the carbon ones on now anyways.

It can be a right bummer if, like me, you fall off occasionally!  ‘Oh arse, there goes £650 again” :angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:45 AM, stewgnu said:

It’d actually be quite interesting to know the cost of repairing damaged silencers.  I had assumed it wouldn’t be worth it.

At $900 the pair, fixing dented Staintunes might very well be worth it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2018 at 2:42 AM, stewgnu said:

I refitted my crash damaged mivvs t’other week, just for a quick ride likes, just to remember how they sound...

Ho. Ly. Crap. So so loud. So deep and raspy and gorgeous... So unsociable... So small ear-bones-damaging...

Hard and angry on the acceleration- deep, hollow poppling reverb on the overrun. Beautiful. But bad. Naughty bad.

Gave me a sore face from grinnin like a loon

You little exhaust freak! Wipe that smile off! ( or not, go on do it again! Those harley lemmings will never get it)👂😎

• 2 weeks later...

Hi swooshdave ... just had an interesting (off-forum) discussion with a prospective buyer for my bike - which included questions regarding stock (alu LaFranconi's) vs the round ss Mistrals like yours (as currently fitted) amongst other things. I fitted the Mistrals a few years ago now (2002?) and so memory always factors in - but recall noticeable differences vs stock nevertheless.

Stock cans certainly heavier - and with a much lower / deeper bass sound (which I actually liked) as I recall. I also think they suit the bike better visually than the smaller diameter Mistrals.

Mistrals certainly elevated the dB factor / pitch - and in conjunction with an appropriate map in the PC3 resulted in (what felt like) better performance. I have no dyno evidence myself - but seem to recall reading somewhere of a few hp increase, but slight decrease in torque ..?

Anyway - the main reason for adding to your thread (since I have all this stuff out) is with regard to the maps (not sure if you got an answer to that question?) :

My current config then is drilled air-box / K&N filter with snorkels removed (music from the intake side also!) stock crossover and Mistral cans with a mapped PC3 ...

Stock map was "706.001" which was then changed to "706.002" followed by "V11-TomH.map" installed in 2003 ... was using an (already) old lap-top at the time - so still have that on, yes - a floppy disc!

Hope this helps, or at least adds to the discussion (not the floppy disc part) ..?

Gio

Edit - that would be one of the newer-fangled 3.5" (non-floppy) floppies btw ... as no, I'm not that old, yet ...

Edited by Gio
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gio said:

Hi swooshdave ... just had an interesting (off-forum) discussion with a prospective buyer for my bike - which included questions regarding stock (alu LaFranconi's) vs the round ss Mistrals like yours (as currently fitted) amongst other things. I fitted the Mistrals a few years ago now (2002?) and so memory always factors in - but recall noticeable differences vs stock nevertheless.

Stock cans certainly heavier - and with a much lower / deeper bass sound (which I actually liked) as I recall. I also think they suit the bike better visually than the smaller diameter Mistrals.

Mistrals certainly elevated the dB factor / pitch - and in conjunction with an appropriate map in the PC3 resulted in (what felt like) better performance. I have no dyno evidence myself - but seem to recall reading somewhere of a few hp increase, but slight decrease in torque ..?

Anyway - the main reason for adding to your thread (since I have all this stuff out) is with regard to the maps (not sure if you got an answer to that question?) :

My current config then is drilled air-box / K&N filter with snorkels removed (music from the intake side also!) stock crossover and Mistral cans with a mapped PC3 ...

Stock map was "706.001" which was then changed to "706.002" followed by "V11-TomH.map" installed in 2003 ... was using an (already) old lap-top at the time - so still have that on, yes - a floppy disc!

Hope this helps, or at least adds to the discussion (not the floppy disc part) ..?

Gio

Edit - that would be one of the newer-fangled 3.5" (non-floppy) floppies btw ... as no, I'm not that old, yet ...

I run M4 carbon on one V11 and Mistral aluminum on the other. Sometimes I hate to admit it after dumping money on my M4s and then modding them but the Mistrals just sound better. And even with putting the sound aside Mistral's build quality is just superior. I have another set that came on my Lemans when I bought it which are probably as old as the bike. Besides some surface scratches they are still super solid after 18 years and 20k+ miles. For any Guzzi it's Mistrals all the way. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

I run M4 carbon on one V11 and Mistral aluminum on the other. Sometimes I hate to admit it after dumping money on my M4s and then modding them but the Mistrals just sound better. And even with putting the sound aside Mistral's build quality is just superior. I have another set that came on my Lemans when I bought it which are probably as old as the bike. Besides some surface scratches they are still super solid after 18 years and 20k+ miles. For any Guzzi it's Mistrals all the way. 

I had Mistral reverse cone megaphones on my bike for a while. Loved the look but hated the whistling sound on the over run. On the throttle they sounded fine but on the over run they sounded like some old Norton fitted with pee shooters. And I definitely dont want my Italian V twin sounding like an old pommie 360 deg parallel twin.

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure about cones Phil (thought that's what ice-cream came in ..? ;) ) but +1 what Rox said about build quality of the Mistrals - mine have held up really well over the years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I had Mistral revers cone megaphones on my bike for a while. Loved the look but hated the whistling sound on the over run. On the throttle they sounded fine but on the over run they sounded like some old Norton fitted with pee shooters. And I definitely dont want my Italian V twin sounding like an old pommie 360 deg parallel twin.

Ciao 

Could it of been from them being cones? You running the stock crossover?  Mine literally sounds like a beefier Duc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rox Lemans said:

Could it of been from them being cones? You running the stock crossover?  Mine literally sounds like a beefier Duc. 

Rather, I like to think that Ducs sound like slightly tinny Guzzis. Here's vote for Staintunes, as they came with the bike but have a really low and mellow sound, even if a bit on the loud side when you wick it. The dB killers kill more than just decibels though, so they are in the box. Staintunes are spendy and the company is on the block, but all else being equal, I should never have to replace them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

Rather, I like to think that Ducs sound like slightly tinny Guzzis. Here's vote for Staintunes, as they came with the bike but have a really low and mellow sound, even if a bit on the loud side when you wick it. The dB killers kill more than just decibels though, so they are in the box. Staintunes are spendy and the company is on the block, but all else being equal, I should never have to replace them.

Here's an image from MG cycles. My Mistrals were these ones and my bike was then and still is running the Stucchi cross over. 

As I said I liked everything about them except the over run sound. Might be ok with the std cross over, didn't think of that, but I'd rather change mufflers than sacrifice the Stucchi cross over. 

Mistral reverse cone mufflers for V11 Sport and LeMans series

Ciao

• Like 2

20 hours ago, po18guy said:

IDK... Comparing Staintunes to Mistrals? Im not hating on Staintunes but for what they charge I'd rather Mistral. Better build. If you like Staintunes and you're in the states you can fit a pair of Two Bros universal fit or D&Ds for less and get the same sound and build quality. I have a pair of aluminum 2 Bros you can fit for super cheap if you doubt me. They just need better brackets around the footpegs.