Aftermarket Mufflers - Mistrals

swooshdave

19 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Here's an image from MG cycles. My Mistrals were these ones and my bike was then and still is running the Stucchi cross over. 

As I said I liked everything about them except the over run sound. Might be ok with the std cross over, didn't think of that, but I'd rather change mufflers than sacrifice the Stucchi cross over. 

Mistral reverse cone mufflers for V11 Sport and LeMans series

Ciao

That sound could be from being cones. Try another shape. My Mistrals on my Lemans sound pretty sweet. These are aluminum with carbon tips.  They probably didn't cost much more than you cones. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VktjjeNfh9x2KZju6

Have not laid eyes on the Mistrals. I cannot imagine a much better build quality than the Staintunes. As I said, they came on the bike and I see no need to swap them out. You're happy. I'm happy. Life is good. 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:51 AM, Gio said:

Hi swooshdave ... just had an interesting (off-forum) discussion with a prospective buyer for my bike - which included questions regarding stock (alu LaFranconi's) vs the round ss Mistrals like yours (as currently fitted) amongst other things. I fitted the Mistrals a few years ago now (2002?) and so memory always factors in - but recall noticeable differences vs stock nevertheless.

Stock cans certainly heavier - and with a much lower / deeper bass sound (which I actually liked) as I recall. I also think they suit the bike better visually than the smaller diameter Mistrals.

Mistrals certainly elevated the dB factor / pitch - and in conjunction with an appropriate map in the PC3 resulted in (what felt like) better performance. I have no dyno evidence myself - but seem to recall reading somewhere of a few hp increase, but slight decrease in torque ..?

Anyway - the main reason for adding to your thread (since I have all this stuff out) is with regard to the maps (not sure if you got an answer to that question?) :

My current config then is drilled air-box / K&N filter with snorkels removed (music from the intake side also!) stock crossover and Mistral cans with a mapped PC3 ...

Stock map was "706.001" which was then changed to "706.002" followed by "V11-TomH.map" installed in 2003 ... was using an (already) old lap-top at the time - so still have that on, yes - a floppy disc!

Hope this helps, or at least adds to the discussion (not the floppy disc part) ..?

Gio

Edit - that would be one of the newer-fangled 3.5" (non-floppy) floppies btw ... as no, I'm not that old, yet ...

I never got an answer about the maps, I've been using the stock map and enjoying the sound.

To be honest I've been riding my sh#tty Norton and suffering with the overrun. Pray for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2020 at 1:16 PM, po18guy said:

Have not laid eyes on the Mistrals. I cannot imagine a much better build quality than the Staintunes. As I said, they came on the bike and I see no need to swap them out. You're happy. I'm happy. Life is good. 

Amen.  Staintune makes nice stuff, and the 2 brothers i bought and had on an oilhead (For a short time, then sold ‘em) were much lower quality. 

Anyone have the Agostini crossover?  They’ve offered to sell me a set of mufflers I’m inclined to spring for, And they also have a crossover they sell.  It looks like the Stucchi i think... the two pipes join rather than have the little bridge pipe like on the Mistral crossover.  Have the mistral x-over on goldie, and could just go that way again for Red (that has been the plan), but maybe that agostini crossover would be good.  Anyone have knowledge on that unit?

On 3/13/2020 at 5:57 AM, Rox Lemans said:

That sound could be from being cones. Try another shape. My Mistrals on my Lemans sound pretty sweet. These are aluminum with carbon tips.  They probably didn't cost much more than you cones. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VktjjeNfh9x2KZju6

I like the stripes on the silver tank, at least from that angle. What do you think docc?

Ciao

8 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I like the stripes on the silver tank, at least from that angle. What do you think docc?

Ciao

If it's this view, I'm not seeing any stripes. Only the early chin pad and a belt buckle protector  and shadows from the clip-on/clutch lever . . .

mWGPw_6bNGFMBrWZtJsJdWNxy8Dw1HwwZ9WG5Raw

Phil - don’t u have the agostini crossover?

14 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Amen.  Staintune makes nice stuff, and the 2 brothers i bought and had on an oilhead (For a short time, then sold ‘em) were much lower quality. 

Anyone have the Agostini crossover?  They’ve offered to sell me a set of mufflers I’m inclined to spring for, And they also have a crossover they sell.  It looks like the Stucchi i think... the two pipes join rather than have the little bridge pipe like on the Mistral crossover.  Have the mistral x-over on goldie, and could just go that way again for Red (that has been the plan), but maybe that agostini crossover would be good.  Anyone have knowledge on that unit?

Was looking at the Agostini crossover from a gent in Germany Ingolf Schubert,, 300Eur a couple of weeks ago. They don't have any support bracket, which I didn't like.   :rasta:

Cheers tom.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:42 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Here's an image from MG cycles. My Mistrals were these ones and my bike was then and still is running the Stucchi cross over. 

As I said I liked everything about them except the over run sound. Might be ok with the std cross over, didn't think of that, but I'd rather change mufflers than sacrifice the Stucchi cross over. 

Mistral reverse cone mufflers for V11 Sport and LeMans series

Ciao

Meant this one docc.

Ciao

7 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Phil - don’t u have the agostini crossover?

No the Stucchi. The Stucchi is the best, it fills in the hole in the middle of the torque curve and maintains the top end and is supported,robust and doesnt crack.

Here's a link worth reading again from Brad Black....http://www.bikeboy.org/v11sport.html

Plenty of other Guzzi tuning stuff of Brads to read as well. This was what I made my cross over decision on all those years ago and it proved to be right I think.

Ciao

• Like 3

Snooping around eBay, I see a right side only carbon fiber Mistral for $135 shipped from New Jersey. Lamentably, the seller has only the right side. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mistral-Oval-Carbon-Fiber-Slip-On-for-Moto-Guzzi-V11/124134561442?hash=item1ce6ff16a2:g:XAMAAOSwOQJegPcw

• 5 weeks later...

Middle of June, and still raining quite a bit.  Good excuse to put Red back into the shop and get the new exhaust installed. 

Looks pretty, to my eye.  I like the sound of all the exhausts I’ve heard on the V11’s, though I’ll admit I’m not loving these new Agostini’s sound as much as some others I’ve heard.  Still sounds great, i just prefer the lower tone of some of the other mufflers.  

Also installed the agostini crossover.  Many love the Stucchi, i have the mistral on Goldie, and in this case just figured I’d give this agostini x-over a whirl.   a bonus of the Agostini crossover is that it somehow cleans up the look a bit more than the mistral x-over.  Presumably because there’s no mounting bracket on the aft aft end, but it’s just noticeably more “naked” looking.  Of course that comes at the expense of not having that bottom mount bracket for structural reasons... hopefully that won’t be an issue.  

I’ve not done a lot of exhaust system changes, other than re-installing stock exhausts, or just putting on new cans, but per my limited experience this was again a weird game of djanga, lining things up, twisting, sliding, and slowly tightening things up so they aligned.  One issue i think is that perhaps the PO had slide the x-over a bit too far up the header pipe. No big deal, but leaves visible corrosion under where the pipes overlap of course, and i had to have less overlap with this setup to make it all fit (probably about 1.5 inches rather than about 2.5 inches) together, mostly based on the muffler mounts.  So it left a bit of an eye-sore on those header pipes.  Perhaps vanity will again get the best of me and I’ll spring for header pipes at some point down the road. 

A8EBC4B8-2EF1-46A7-8841-59F1384AA610.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

They really really suit your bike mate!!

I reckon if I ever changed my Mistral carbon ovals, it would be for these, love  the look.

Pretty stoked with how mine sound as they are though, but for looks the Agostini's win  for sure.

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 1