Engine Rotation Direction

JBBenson

Going to do the valves after a long interval.

Using the alternator nut to manually turn it to find TDC, compression stroke.

Anyone remember which way the engine rotates when running?

You can check this by looking through the hole on the right side of the clutch housing while the engine is running.

Remove the rubber bung first ;)

The alternator nut has standard (clockwise) threads. 

But... do you have the Guzzi shop stand or some other swingarm stand? If so, I think it's easier to put the bike in gear and use the elevated rear wheel to rotate the engine.

I have the Becker stand, which clamps to the pork chop nuts.

Having done it both ways, turning the engine using the alternator nut gives me a little more fine control to find the flywheel marks.

I just don't remember which way it turns..... :huh2:

I prefer to spin the alternator nut to find TDC. 

BTW-  once you have it, mark it on the spinner with a marker.  Right side marked at midnight and left side should be at 3:00 pm.

The engine turns clockwise when looking at the front of the bike toward the rear.....

I always make sure both lifters spin freely to confirm TDC on compression stroke.

I don't think turning the engine backwards to find TDC is going to hurt anything.

I imagine that there is a certain amount of lash in the cam, lifters, rockers etc. that might throw off the valve clearance measurements if you turn the motor backwards.

That’s the thinking.

Turn it in the direction of normal rotation,clockwise, viewed from the front. Do the left (Snot dis side) first, turn the crank 270 degrees, do the right. (Dis side) Nothin to it.

Mark the spinner, either my way: midnight right side and 3 pm; or Chuck's way: midnight left side and 9 am.

this makes it much easier to find the D and S for my tired eyes.

You know, it really would be nice if the "D" and "S" on the flywheel were paint filled.  :thumbsup:

D = destra = right = "Dis side" = green (as with aircraft or marine vessel).

S = sinistra = left = "Snot dis side" = red

I'll have to get this done on my next valve adjustment. Thanks, LowRyter!

Good posts, I`m also attempting to adjust the clearances.

I found the S ans D marks and painted to make them easier to see.

Q. once a cylinder is set to TDC do I adjust that cylinder or the opposite one?

I ask because the TDC  side adjustment screws seems to have no effect while the opposite one(BDC) can be adjusted.

Im going to assume both cylinders valves are closed at this point yet the TDC side valves seem to be under tension making t those screws stiffer to turn than the opposite side.

The manual seems vague other than set to TDC and make adjustments, really dont want to mess this up, probably should have left well enough alone, but the rockers/tappets seems excessively noisy.

Clarification on this would greatly appreciated,

Thanx

Shiloh,

You have two TDC's for each cilinder: compression stroke (both valves closed) and 360deg ahead exhaust stroke (valves NOT closed). If you can't spin the pushrods, you most likely have the exhaust stroke.

Turn the engine 360deg and try the same cilinder again.