Engine Rotation Direction

JBBenson

Good posts, I`m also attempting to adjust the clearances.

I found the S ans D marks and painted to make them easier to see.

Q. once a cylinder is set to TDC do I adjust that cylinder or the opposite one?

I ask because the TDC  side adjustment screws seems to have no effect while the opposite one(BDC) can be adjusted.

Im going to assume both cylinders valves are closed at this point yet the TDC side valves seem to be under tension making t those screws stiffer to turn than the opposite side.

The manual seems vague other than set to TDC and make adjustments, really dont want to mess this up, probably should have left well enough alone, but the rockers/tappets seems excessively noisy.

Clarification on this would greatly appreciated,

Thanx

There are two TDC, one for compression stroke where the valves are shut and the other for exhaust stroke where the valves are open.  You want the compression stroke, the valves are shut and there is no pressure on the valve springs. 

If you do the right side then you have to all the way around and back again (start at midnight and go to 3pm).  If you do the left side you just go 3/4 was back around  (start at midnight and go to 9am).   It helps to mark the spinner on the alternator at one of the midnights.

Watch the intake valve while you are turning the engine in the direction of normal rotation. (Clockwise, viewed from the front) When the intake valve opens, then closes.. the piston is on the firing stroke, and when at TDC, adjust the valves. It's not rocket science..  :oldgit:

Thanx guys,

I know its not rocket science, I get confused easily, been building 2-strokes for most of my life, and this is the fitst 4 banger I've decided to maintane myself in a very long while

Cheers

Didn't mean to offend you, :)  but watching the intake valve movement is the absolute no brainer way to tell when it is coming up to fire on that cylinder. 

So, those videos are certainly not v11 specific. That could get really confusing. Maybe the one on Mike's LeMans 1000 is the closest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQe8s2Xowk

No but they aren’t really all that different. 2V is 2V. What is so different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, those videos are certainly not v11 specific. That could get really confusing. Maybe the one on Mike's LeMans 1000 is the closest?

No but they aren’t really all that different. 2V is 2V. What is so different?

I guess I see a lot of 8v and even V7 (smallblock) in that first link.

8v would not be a good reference for the V11.

I did not curate the list. I have free time but not that much free time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't mean to offend you, :)  but watching the intake valve movement is the absolute no brainer way to tell when it is coming up to fire on that cylinder. 

Non taken, just wanting to be certain, whole new learning curve, or re-learning curve as in my case, two strokes certainly have a lot less going on, thats for sure.

Swoosh and Docc,thanx for sharing the links, very helpful indeed.

The simplest way: 

Depending on which side you are working on, if the "D" or the "S" is visible through the port, and both lifters spin, the valves are closed and you can adjust. 

No "watching the valves" is necessary. Removing the park plugs will make the rotating a little easier....

Got it done, was actually quite simple, one was a tad tight and another loose.

Back to spec and not as rattley sounding. :)

I think what was confusing me was cylinder orientation, as looking from the front to rear.

Our kawi triples are as sitting on the bike, right side left side.

Cheers