Prepurchase questions from a Guzzi neophyte.

BMEPdoc

Okay. True to this threads title. Folks, I have absolutely NO idea how these bikes are supposed to run being that I've never owned or even swung a leg over one until purchasing this one which leads me to this:

Is there anyone relatively near me familiar with these whom I could impose upon to take mine for a spin for an unabashed, objective, analysis? I'm often down in the Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes area so riding to wherever you might be (within reason) is very doable. If I could coerce one of you experts for a few minutes of your time for your valued ride and performance assessment - Lunch, anywhere you'd like - on me - would be a pleasure.

Some of you have been riding these for quite some time and have become mechanically intimate as well as very much in tune with these machines dynamics and peculiarities that allow you more than a modicum of objectivity.      

-doc

Tim (Scud) is down the coast from you and has had many V11's, he rides a lot so I am sure you two could rendezvous somewheres.  He seems genuinely nice and very friendly + quick to help anyone on the board.  Send him a Pm

Of course! - Should've thought of him. I just purchased one of his unbreakable pawl springs too!

I'm so nice that I will ride it over Sherman Pass for you.  :race:

Seriously, I'd be happy to take a look if you are nearby - or if I am passing through. I think we are at least 200 miles apart.

Ideally, I can get my Scura's electrics "trustworthy" and you feel the differences in suspension, frame length and clutch-type.

Tim...Sherman Pass is great I agree!. Coming in from the east off of the 14 over Walker Pass into Isabella, OR  - from the south out of Tehachapi through Caliente/Bodfish - OR, if feeling real adventurous - there's the scenic Breckenridge road out of Oildale/Bakersfield over Breckenridge mountain which dumps you off on Caliente/ Bodfish road . Another excellent alternative is from the Bakersfield side up 65 to Woody then onto the fun, circuitous 155 into Wofford Heights - north up the Kern river road towards Sherman Pass where one absolutely must stop at McNallys hamburger stand and grab a burger! - This is the small burger stand up the road from their steak house. Highly recommended burgers and fries. Lets make it happen... In the meantime: 

I'm sending you a P.M. to organize a time to meet that works for you. No rush at all. Being retired my schedule is......wait...what schedule?

-doc 

• Like 2

Ok, if it's soon, I might have to ride the ST3 up there.  

I've long been curious about the road through Bodfish, but haven't ridden it yet. 155 gives me a "Woody" that lasts all the way to Wofford Heights. See map link for explanation.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Woody,+CA/Wofford+Heights,+CA+93285/@35.7148027,-118.7310954,11.51z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x80ea864a5ab9881f:0x7f124b9fa2ced6fe!2m2!1d-118.834259!2d35.7041199!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c1cd9d10e47bb7:0xe6cd50048d45b3fe!2m2!1d-118.4561967!2d35.7068961!3e0

I've been scheming on riding 190 to the North a bit, with a stop at the Trail of 100 Giants. But to go that far, it will need to be an overnighter.

• Like 2

Trail of 100 Giants

We went there on the Jack-All rig, but there were a lot of big trees in the way. Finally found a trail that led us to Nevada..  :)

There is a road going East out of Visalia.. let me look it up. You will like it.

Excerpt from journal..

10-11-14

Jam’s Rosso Corsa (!) was hard to start, and I vetoed taking it. I’d rather fix it in the garage than on the side of the road. Had a great ride, found my new favorite road.. 180 to the top of the mountain. Some Harley dix got in our way, so we decided to not try to pass. They were freakin dangerous. I expected one or more to run off the road or get hit by a car at any time. A few minutes wait was all it took. Lunch at the roadhouse on top, then some gorgeous scenery going down the mountain. Back to Jam’s, fixed her bike, had a little more scotch and a beer, dinner at a steak joint. A memorable trip, definitely a good time.

@ "Harley dix"

Very near my home is The Lake Hughes 'Rock Inn'. It's an old bar, B&B affair dating back to the 20's. In any case - it's become increasingly popular with the biker scene with every marque pretty well represented on any given weekend, much like, though not yet at the level of popularity of say it's Mulholland drive (The Rock Store) namesake or Newcombs on the Crest highway, but I see it happening, after all - there are some fabulous roads around here so it's just inevitable. Anyway, rarely does a month pass where I don't hear sirens or an alert to local LEO's and EMT's on my scanner of a 'bike down' on some local road. Over the decades the tally of bikes and fatalities is considerable and in no small measure due to DUI's which got their start either en route to or departing from - The Rock Inn. I surmise the latter probably out ratios the former by a considerable margin.

Now, just as is the case in most of these types of venues, at least the one's I've patronized is just the sheer number of different bikes (and yes cars too) which show up. In this case and here in my neck of the woods, what IS disproportionate though is with all of the hypersport 200HP+/200MPH bikes being piloted by kids and grumps alike, it's the Harley's that go down. Not to stereotype but do Harley riders just have more of a propensity to overconsume? Is it their land barge dynamic qualities? It makes one wonder if there's more to that famous Hollister, Ca. photo than meets the eye.

Just openly musing.

Some folks are enthusiasts. Some are hobbyists. Still others, image is the priority. The latter group I would suggest, just doesn’t take motorcycling seriously. They don’t know their limits. Whatever machine this lot rides, they will likely fall down at some point

Just to make it plain, the scotch and a beer I was talking about was from the night before. The 4 of us came up on the Harley doods pretty rapidly, and they started totally outriding their ability to keep us from passing. Crossing the centerline on blind corners.. :o that sort of thing. We simply pulled off, had a bottle of water, and waited for maybe 15 minutes or so. We just caught them again at the "roadhouse" at the top. I wonder what they were thinking when Jamaliah took off her helmet?  :rasta:  :)

At any rate, if you get a chance to run 180, I'd recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I've been temporarily indisposed but all is much better now.

First off, I'd like to openly thank Tim (Scud) for his contribution of time, experience, and knowledge of these machines which went a long way in placating my questions and concerns. He also generously gifted me with a small touch-up paint tube matching the red frame on my machine as well as an interesting book on leadership he co-authored. For those who have not had the pleasure of meeting Tim, he's not only knowledgeable but also quite the conversationalist - and rather swift on two wheels as well, this - which he revealed on the various roads in and around his home turf. Thank you again Tim.

Hopefully, we'll do it again in the not too distant future. Not only did he ride my machine to assess but allowed me a short but telling ride on his Scura which pretty much re-affirmed what I thought it would feel like. We also briefly exchanged bikes so I could sample his Ducati ST3. A familiar issue was revisited for me as his ST3 exhibited the very same electrical glitch my '07 Multistrada had been possessed with. One moment it wouldn't crank and the next it was as if nothing was amiss. Weird. I snapped a pic of `em smiling just after it roared back to life. For those following, I'll also be adding information on my findings in reference to filter pods on the other post I started.

Moto%20Guzzi%20-%20'Scud'%20Tim%20Scudde
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I've been temporarily indisposed but all is much better now.

First off, I'd like to openly thank Tim (Scud) for his contribution of time, experience, and knowledge of these machines which went a long way in placating my questions and concerns. He also generously gifted me with a small touch-up paint tube matching the red frame on my machine as well as an interesting book on leadership he co-authored. For those who have not had the pleasure of meeting Tim, he's not only knowledgeable but also quite the conversationalist - and rather swift on two wheels as well, this - which he revealed on the various roads in and around his home turf. Thank you again Tim.

Hopefully, we'll do it again in the not too distant future.

Not only did he ride my machine to assess but allowed me a short but telling ride on his Scura which pretty much re-affirmed what I thought it would feel like. We also briefly exchanged bikes so I could sample his Ducati ST3. A familiar issue was revisited for me as his ST3 exhibited the very same electrical glitch my '07 Multistrada had been possessed with. One moment it wouldn't crank and the next it was as if nothing was amiss. Weird. I snapped a pic of `em smiling just after it roared back to life. For those following, I'll also be adding information on my findings in reference to filter pods on the other post I started.

https://static.imgzeit.com/large/df5f3f71d223149d/Moto%20Guzzi%20-%20'Scud'%20Tim%20Scudder.jpg

Tim is a nice and knowledgeable guy. At last years rally at Lake Henshaw I saw him diagnose and fix another guys Scura and that boy can ride. Were having another rally this year October 19-21 at Lake Henshaw so I hope to see you guys there.