Looking at a 04 Ballabio

badge502

on the '04 Ballabio... awesome condition, a little high in the price department ($4700ish) , starts great runs good, BUT, owner says that his neutral light doesn't work most of the time, and there's that false neutral between 3 and 4...Im a little concerned that it could be the start of an issue... What do you guys think? Ive had other Guzzi's and they (along with a bunch of BMW's) have had false neutrals, and it hasn't really concerned me all that much... 

Maybe Im just getting jittery with a new purchase... 

Thanks,

Jeff

False neutrals are caused by pussyfooting around. Shift like a proper Guzzi owner, firm and decisive.

• Like 2

on the '04 Ballabio... awesome condition, a little high in the price department ($4700ish) , starts great runs good, BUT, owner says that his neutral light doesn't work most of the time, and there's that false neutral between 3 and 4...Im a little concerned that it could be the start of an issue... What do you guys think? Ive had other Guzzi's and they (along with a bunch of BMW's) have had false neutrals, and it hasn't really concerned me all that much... 

Maybe Im just getting jittery with a new purchase... 

Thanks,

Jeff

Sounds like changing the gearbox oil and fettling the foot shifter is in order (easy).  At most, performing LuckyPhil's Shift Improvement and installing the Chuck-made super spring from Scud (not hard, really).

If necessary, add a LuckyPhil/Chuck-made shift extender: https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19580

Just kicking the shifter harder? Dear, me . .  . Red Suspender territory . . . :glare:

Has the gearbox oil ever been changed? Or the foot shift lever been seen to?

Super-simple/ easy stuff.

The owner said that he had just changed the oil, both engine and gear box... My guess is he hasn't ridden it much since he did his oil change. He seems to be one of those guys that really knows his way around a bike... Been riding a long time. Im thinking Im going to jump on this... Its just too nice to pass up, and the repairs don't seem to be that bad. Thank you all for your help... Im sure Ill be coming back soon! 

Jeff

Good on ya, Jeff! Probably some simple and easy fettling. :luigi:

Great to see you back around "these parts!" :thumbsup:

Mileage?

14 K

I ask because mine from new was a bit sticky between 1 and 2. Until the mileage got up to around 8k. I also "learned" how she liked to be shifted. Positively, and with the rpm's a bit higher than with my other bikes. (other advantages associated with high rpm shifts) :bike: She's around 14k now and very happy. I've done all the stuff Docc has suggested, and use Red Line Shock Proof heavy as lube.

owner says that his neutral light doesn't work most of the time,

It's either a corroded/loose connector at the neutral switch.. or the switch itself is flaky. Easy peasey to fix.