A quick thanks.

Cabernet

Someone on here posted they'd had a pawl spring failure. They also posted they were able to still get a gear change by braking heavily before changing.

Having a spring go after less than 6000 miles I gave it a go. A bit of a hit and miss affair, but I was able to go from 2nd to 5th where I stayed until near home, then dropped back to 4th for the last urban 2miles.

Spring is out now and ready for a new one.

So thanks for sharing the technic.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I believe it to be 2002 mascarading as a 2003. Yep I read something on that a while back. Got a link to it perchance?

Fuel pump outside the tank and formerly black face clocks. Now red.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

That was me with the hard-brake-to-shift technique. Glad it helped you get home. When you have the pre-selector out, you can see that the spring pushes the arm forward (and a broken spring allows it to flop backward). Therefore, hard braking can get the arm to flop forward into place for one shift.

I still have a little box of the new "unbreakable" springs. Send me PM if you need one. US$10 per spring. Add US$5 shipping to US. Add US$15 shipping outside US.

Yes, I got the logic in your previous post. It does work after a fashion.

...just enough to sneak in a few shifts and get home. Nothing you'd want to rely on beyond that. 

Really - it's quite rewarding to know that the idea helped somebody. Thanks for mentioning it.