totally DEAD now

LowRyter

one or the other.  this UNI is bigger than the manhole.  It was loose.  Dropping pan.  Might as well put in fresh oil and Bosch filter.  even though this has only 2k on it and drk brown.

OK now to work on the fuse.  

Started the bike, dropped in a fuse, it sparks before I can seat it, and burns up immediately.  

Going out on a limb here but... there's a short somewhere.

• Like 1

You're probably right Dave, but I know less about electricity than I do oil pressure. 

And you can see what a fiasco I made out of that.   :homer:

1. Put a large hose clamp on the filter. 2. Use a turn signal in place of the fuse to troubleshoot. This article is old, but so is electricity. https://www.yamaha-motor-university.com/ymu/motorsports/advertising/YMU%20Service%20Limit/docs/States%20of%20a%20Wire%20December%202013.pdf

Plenty of help for wiring problem here.

• Like 3

Fuse #6 ?

What happens if you put the Ignition Switch in "Park" mode?

Inspect/ replace your tail light bulb and make sure the connections (copper tabs) deep in there are not bent or touching.

Second, remove the headlamp assembly and inspect the 4 watt dipped lamp bulb.

Otherwise, the short could be in the instrument illumination. Those bulb holders are rather flinky.

1. Put a large hose clamp on the filter. 2. Use a turn signal in place of the fuse to troubleshoot. This article is old, but so is electricity. https://www.yamaha-motor-university.com/ymu/motorsports/advertising/YMU%20Service%20Limit/docs/States%20of%20a%20Wire%20December%202013.pdf

Plenty of help for wiring problem here.

First time i didn't use a hose clamp. 

Fuse #6 ?

Inspect/ replace your tail light bulb and make sure the connections (copper tabs) deep in there are not bent or touching.

Otherwise, the short could be in the instrument illumination. Those bulb holders are rather flinky.

I've never used park mode. So if it's the ignition switch, this might show it?

What is the 4 wt dipped lamp?  I didn't notice it when I installed the LED headlight.

Fuse #6 ?

I've never used park mode. So if it's the ignition switch, this might show it?

What is the 4 wt dipped lamp?  I didn't notice it when I installed the LED headlight.

Park mode on the ignition switch isolates the dipped light circuit through Fuse#6: Tail light, tag light, instrument illumination, and tiny 4 watt bulb in the headlamp bucket. No relay.

The tiny 4watt bulb is easy to overlook in the headlamp. It is in the six o'clock position and glows yellow next to the LED's white-ish.

OK now to work on the fuse.  

Started the bike, dropped in a fuse, it sparks before I can seat it, and burns up immediately.  

Going out on a limb here but... there's a short somewhere.

go to the auto parts store and get a reset fuse (?). I did that when I had a short. saves you a bunch of fuses

Thanks for the info.

I am going to start on the light in the headlight bucket.  I don't recall seeing it when I installed the LED headlight.  It could be anywhere or crushed.

I'll look for a resettable fuse, should be a big help.