Non starter!

voycie

Just done my valves at 0.04 inlet and 0.06 outlet. Started bike up it seemed fine, but I noticed the petrol was leaking from the tank / hose connector. Stopped the bike and took the pipe off and on and retightened. Noticed there was no gas in the tank (i drained it before i removed it). Put some fuel in and now it wont start. Theres a spark but it wont run more than a second or two.

Bit stumped. When I done the valves I took off the flywheel rubber to expose the timing marks. Used the S and D marks to do each side, by visually aligning the letter halfway accross the openjng viewport. Bike was cold when I done it.

Sparks and plug caps back on ok.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Its pumped. Starting the bike push the fuel through which pissed out from the red coloured feed under the tank r/h side. Tightened it up and seems ok expect bike wont run!

You might want to see if the fuel line is primed.  These bikes have a tendency to vapor lock and "tank suck" as well.

Open the gas cap, make sure the tank is close to full.  And then prime it with fuel pump.  I would bet you still have air in the fuel lines after it ran out of fuel. 

Mine did that after I was riding in hot weather  I forgot and didn't prime the fuel pump and hit the starter.  it would run for a second and die.  Then I filled the tank it ran fine.

LowRyter said it, how much fuel did you put in ?

Dont worry about valve adjustment,, watch exvalve goes Down and up, then intake Down an up,,,  push rods loose, there you go.

Cheers tom

The fuel pick up is on one side of the tank only . Make sure you have plenty of fuel . Take off the fuel cap and listen for it to prime and pick up  . It will sound different .

Ok thanks so ive primed the bikes per guidance. The bike will start now but only on idle. In fact if i hold the throttle fully to the lower stop its fine and will idle. However, any revs above idle it cuts out. Both headers warm, valves sound fine so no nasty noises, she just wont run... any suggestions what to do next. I did take the airbox and rubbers off to clean them beforehand. Tried squeezing a bit of ez start whipst its running, didnt make any difference. Has new iridium plugs gapped at .7mm and new plug caps.

So, not just a valve adjustment, but you had the tank off?

These tanks trap almost a US gallon of fuel. Make sure you double that volume of fuel at a minimum.

These tanks trap almost a US gallon of fuel. Make sure you double that volume of fuel at a minimum.

Yes! I "tested"  :homer: tank volume last summer; empty tank takes 19.5l -totally empty (pump inside) measured volume 21.7l    =  2.2l in trap -quite a lot  :blink:

-KG-

• Like 2

Yes! I "tested"  :homer: tank volume last summer; empty tank takes 19.5l -totally empty (pump inside) measured volume 21.7l    =  2.2l in trap -quite a lot  :blink:

-KG-

Fun with tank volume testing!

IMG_2679.JPG

• Like 2