Side stand wear

Chuck

Okay, here is the image I've been searching for that shows the common lateral wear from deep cornering:

DSCN2894.jpg

Not the circled fastener. That is one of the V11 Achilles' Heels! Look at the stand's foot ground flat on the outer edge.

Mine has not touched there again since I spec'd my suspension springs and "set my sags."

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13357&p=224484

Chuck my side stand is worn similarly. Fwiw

Post a pic?

(Any sidestand that shows that kind of damage should lead to a thorough inspection of the stand's mounting bracket, the integrity of the "sump spacer", and the fasteners referenced in the link.)

IMG_5184.jpg

^^^^Doing this inspection after I got it home to Indiana is when I found the sidestand foot almost worn through. I've been aware of the fragility of the whole assembly since the Centauro days. I didn't expect to find the foot almost worn off, though.

Docc, I'm thinking this is a long term thing instead of a one time occurrence. It would have to slide a long way to "machine" that much material off the foot. Of course, that is just a guess. I am sure that it would have gotten the operator's undivided attention, though.. :grin:

I've seen stands with similar wear. I think it's just from two things: 1) parking the bike. Each time you lean the bike over on the stand it slides a bit on the ground. 2) iding on the sidestand. I think this might be the larger cause of wear. Especially if the bike has a lumpy idle and the sidestand is on an abrasive surface such as brush-finish concrete.

Hey Chuck - 

There are lots of aftermarket sidestand extension plates that you could use as inspiration.  Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Stainless-Kickstand-Extension-Universal/dp/B075T9NWWC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1529158704&sr=8-13&keywords=motorcycle+kick+stand+plate

idling on the sidestand. I think this might be the larger cause of wear. Especially if the bike has a lumpy idle and the sidestand is on an abrasive surface such as brush-finish concrete.

Chuck, you beat me to it as i was going to post this. My bike has the same wear, I noticed because it seemed to be leaning over further than it used to. Scud has hit the nail on the head. I have always taken my bike out of the garage, put the sidestand down on a concrete drain cover and warmed it up,now there is a slight angle on my driveway so the bike can slide a few inches when rocking back and fore, obviously wearing away material off the stand every time. We need someone to engineer a solution, someone who likes a challenge and can make it look good, someone with, oh i dont know say a aviation type background.  :whistle:  :grin:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

FWIW, I use a small block of wood under the sidestand when I park in the garage. That means zero wear on the sidestand (even when idling), plus it keeps the bike a bit more upright, with less strain on the sidestand and mounting brackets.

I'm guessing that it was this way when Pete got it. I never let it idle, just start it up and motor (gently) off.

However it is happening, I'll bet this will stop it.  :rasta:

Some 1/16" Stainless flat stock, a little band saw work, brake, and hammer (V11 content) and dolly.

28965566238_38d8c8eba0_c.jpg2018-06-16_02-15-37 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

I'll bead blast the stand and this piece, mix up a batch of Metal Set epoxy, and squoze it all together. Tomorrow, after the epoxy cures, I'll take a die grinder to it and make it look a little less crude.

• Like 1

Olde world craftsman !

Naa, an olde world craftsman would take a couple of days, make some tools,  and form it to fit. This is just quick and dirty.. :) It'll probably work, though.

I am always learning from you guys!   :notworthy:  :mg: 

Sidestand Study would be a good TechSession at the Fart-eenth SSR. :luigi:

I am always learning from you guys!   :notworthy:  :mg:

Sidestand Study would be a good TechSession at the Fart-eenth SSR. :luigi:

and I was just wondering why the foot is angled upwards and does not sit flat on a flat surface? for uneven surfaces? is this science or just fup duck?

• Like 1

Seems the whole sidestand project was handed off to some junior ingegnere who was told, in proper Florentine Italian, "Don' duck this fup."