Side stand wear

Chuck

I am always learning from you guys!   :notworthy:  :mg:

Sidestand Study would be a good TechSession at the Fart-eenth SSR. :luigi:

and I was just wondering why the foot is angled upwards and does not sit flat on a flat surface? for uneven surfaces? is this science or just fup duck?

It's fairly typical. My guess is that on soft surfaces more of the foot comes into play as it sinks in.

It's fairly typical. My guess is that on soft surfaces more of the foot comes into play as it sinks in.

Yeah well Occam's razor tells me the Guzzi Engineers guessed wrong.   ;)

If I remember, I'll take a couple of pix.

A new Side Stand part number GU01432190 costs about $80 from Harper's or AF1, and €80 from Stein Dinse.

My bike has a flat alum alloy sole plate added by a previous owner, and it is getting worn thin. It is held on with 2 countersunk screws.

Maybe it is time for me to get a new leg, and add a sole plate to it.

Then it should last a while.

Mine also wears (and the foot is not flat on the floor).

Floor is unfinished concrete, and when she idles she slowly "walks" backwards, about 3-5cm per minute :cheese:

Here's a pic:

Side_Stand_Wear.jpg

Mine also wears (and the foot is not flat on the floor).

Floor is unfinished concrete, and when she idles she slowly "walks" backwards, about 3-5cm per minute :cheese:

Here's a pic:

Side_Stand_Wear.jpgself

That visible wear on that edge is what I am familiar with occurring from deep cornering with the sidestand up. There are those who have shorted the rubber stop to let the stand seat itself further toward the sump for more clearance. Again, mine hasn't touched down since refitting my suspension.

But this other wear is on the tip (bottom of the stand when down/deployed). what does your stand look like there, Tinus?

Idling on the stand is going to grind off 1/4" of aluminum alloy? <_>

Now, that's a lumpy idle! :o

she slowly "walks" backwards, about 3-5cm per minute

Lets' call that 1 to 2 inches since I only talk 'Merican. I haven't measured it, but I'll bet the svelte V11S is pushing with (throwing dart) 100 lbs per square inch on the end of the sidestand. (or more) I can definitely see that wearing the stand pretty fast. 

Makes me wonder about the process of "kicking" the stand down. If that tip/shoe slams the pavement every time it's kicked down, there would be this same wear configuration.

But this other wear is on the tip (bottom of the stand when down/deployed). what does your stand look like there, Tinus?

So the way the sidestand has it's "toe" upwards on the right side of my pic, already shows it must only wear on the heel. I'll take a picture tonight.

Idling on the stand is going to grind off 1/4" of aluminum alloy? <_>

Now, that's a lumpy idle! :o

Lumpyness of idle does not impact that much, in my experience. Because of the way the side stand is oriented, it acts as a sort of spring, which makes the bike move forwards or backwards (not sure) when idling. Even when I raise the idle to 3000rpm, she still moves.

Vibration does a lot of damage in engineering;).

Relative soft aluminium vs unfinished concrete, add vibration and some weight in the mix, and you have significant wear. No wonder a lot of bike makers (especially with big twins) use steel for side stands...