Screw Loose

swooshdave

Ug.

I ran down to the garage in a panic to check.

I see two large hex heads, one on each side. Are there two bolts, one per side?

Anyways, mine are there. I cringe at the thought of riding without either one of them.

Yikes.

I lost one of those main bolts from my Scura once. Shit a brick when I noticed it. Can you imagine the engine dropping out of the frame while you're riding? That would be a bad day. 

There are four bolts - two are easy to see and two are obscured by the tank.

There are four bolts - two are easy to see and two are obscured by the tank.

Ummm, wait . . . three per side? one into the engine timing chest and these two, at the top, into the spine . . . .

IMG_2806.JPG

Thanks for posting the picture. What I wrote makes no sense - please disregard. 

There are three bolts on each side of the subframe (6 total).  And... when you really look closely, the engine block is not even attached to the frame. There are only two big bolts up front that attach the timing cover to the subframe. And the back of the engine only mounts to the transmission with about 6 studs and the starter bolts. 

This changed in 2002 when arms were added to the lower subframe - and the arms are connected directly to the block.

However you count (or mis-count), those big bolts between subframe and timing cover seem pretty important.  :oldgit:

• Like 1

a slight diversion please.... when checking for tightness, or re- torquing a bolt you've previously used loc-tite/threadlock on, haven't you "broken" the lock? :doh:

If it’s already loose it won’t matter.

it's a stand alone question. in general. you've got a bolt in with thread loc and you want to re torque or check for tightness. if you move it at all, you break the bond, right?

Pretty much. If you just check torque it without backing it off and it doesnt tighten you're fine. 

Ciao