Voltage Reg and Charging Problem?

Scud

Does anyone make a voltage regulator that actually lasts?

I get about 12.1v at idle and normally 13.8v at 4k rpm. Someone said they get 13.8v at idle.

Also the Electrosport site recommends this regulator. Why are y’all using a different one?

https://www.electrosport.com/collections/street-motorcycles-moto-guzzi-2001-v11-sport/products/esr515-regulator-rectifier-ducati-1-phase-charge-light-output

I tried the electrosport and it is not a good match to the Odyssey battery in my experience. I have a lightly used one that I will sell cheap if you want.

I went back to stock style...

Which electrosport model is it?

I recommend a Shindengen which is a high quality Japanese MOSFET regulator.

I replaced the failed one on my CalVin with this. They have more tightly regulated voltage and will not over volt.

Watch out for fakes. I initially bought a fake off of Amazon. 

https://www.roadstercycle.com/

https://motoelectrix.com/products/shindengen-mosfet-fh012aa-regulator-rectifier-kit

I tried the electrosport and it is not a good match to the Odyssey battery in my experience. I have a lightly used one that I will sell cheap if you want.

I sourced this EnduraLast EDL450 from EuroMotoElectrics (Colorado, USA) for my fourth regulator. I am thinking this is the "OEM-style" replacement? (Not yet installed as it appears my third is yet in service even after 30-35,000 miles.)

IMG_6556.jpg

I sourced this EnduraLast EDL450 from EuroMotoElectrics (Colorado, USA) for my fourth regulator. I am thinking this is the "OEM-style" replacement? (Not yet installed as it appears my third is yet in service even after 30-35,000 miles.)

IMG_6556.jpg

Have you used a MOSFET regulator yet and if no, why not?

Now you have me past my pay grade... :blush:

I defer to others who may be able to improve on our set-up.

Not sure what czakky "went back to", but "I think" the EDL450 is most like the OEM unit (?) :huh2:

Now you have me past my pay grade... :blush:

I defer to others who may be able to improve on our set-up.

Not sure what czakky "went back to", but "I think" the EDL450 is most like the OEM unit (?) :huh2:

I’m still researching but I believe there are two types of regulators. Shunt types take and excess voltage and turn it into heat, the alternator still puts out full power. The other kind, I think there are series and MOSFETs, will “turn off” the alternator. Reducing load on the entire system. I’m guessing the shunt types are the ones that fail frequently for obvious reasons.

Please someone correct me if I got the above wrong. I’m researching as fast as I can.

• Like 1

Before we get too tied down to reg outputs its important to indicate whether or not the headlights are on or off during the measuring. Headlights on with the Guzzi system pulls the voltage reg sensing circuit down as much as 1 volt resulting in overcharging.

Ciao 

Yes my current regulator is the EuroMoto one. Sorry I’m not too specific..

I don’t know the model of the Electrosport, it’s the plug n’ play style. It would have a draw that would take the odyssey down past its optimal voltage in a week (like .1 volts a day). I asked Electrosport about it and they offered a small discount on a new one....

Yes my current regulator is the EuroMoto one. Sorry I’m not too specific..

I don’t know the model of the Electrosport, it’s the plug n’ play style. It would have a draw that would take the odyssey down past its optimal voltage in a week (like .1 volts a day). I asked Electrosport about it and they offered a small discount on a new one....

PM on your way.

I have the Electrosport 515 installed, but I think I still have another problem. My Scura has been sittlng recently while ride other bikes. Thanks for the extra research here. Looking forward to a reliable solution. 

I have the Electrosport 515 installed, but I think I still have another problem. My Scura has been sittlng recently while ride other bikes. Thanks for the extra research here. Looking forward to a reliable solution.

This seems to be the best solution I’ve found so far. https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20106

Super simple video shows the difference between a Shunt and MOSFET regulator. Technically the MOSFET is also a shunt but the transition between charging and not charging happens quickly.

Ok, finally a great, easy to read and understand explanation: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/mosfet-regulator-rectifiers-why-how-25117/