Voltage Reg and Charging Problem?

Scud

...yeah, I need to buy a new assortment of "weather pack" sockets, seals and pins.  I had a set for years but have consumed them over time on various projects.  As I go through the Le Mans later, I plan to essentially replace anything that isn't a weather tight connection.

I can only think of a couple connections that are not weather proof: the two yellow wire "bullet connectors" carrying the AC charge from the stator to the regulator and the two "bullet connectors" alongside the forward left side of the frame for the clutch lock-out switch.

Other suspects could be: the connector for the sidestand switch (left, forward frame area), a single connector for the tach (right frame area), and a single connector back by the relay blocks (seems like that's for the ECU, I forget).  Not sure how these three are configured, they may be sealed. :huh2: )

Otherwise, all of the connectors benefit from cleaning and treating with The Amazing Caig DeOxit® and being certain they are fully seated. The enhanced connectivity can be revealing!

BTW, I did some voltage testing on the Sport yesterday.  Years ago, I gave up running a Gerbings heated jacket along with their gloves

(99 watts + 22 watts = ~4.75 amps) as the Sport just wouldn't carry them without keeping the rpm well up. After the "improvements" to my charging system (grounding improvements, Caig DeOxit everything, battery "conditioning", 30 amp fuse substitute, and various LED including headlights on a dedicated circuit), I thought I would do some checking. FWIW, there is 38,000 miles/ 61.000 km and ten years on my OEM Ducati Energia regulator.

Somewhere around 65ºF/18ºC, the battery showed 12.76v.   Key on with LED hi-beam/fan: 12.15v.    Idle at 1200 rpm: 14.2v.

With the 77w jacket on, it needed 1800 rpm to get the desired 14.2v. Adding the 22w gloves required 2400 rpm to make the 14.2v.

So,  this is a ton better than before when I had to get close to 4,000 rpm to keep the desired charge voltage. Pretty sure I'm cleared to run the jacket and gloves, both, tomorrow for the New Year's Day Ride (~45ºF/ 7ºC). :thumbsup::race:

...yeah, I need to buy a new assortment of "weather pack" sockets, seals and pins. I had a set for years but have consumed them over time on various projects. As I go through the Le Mans later, I plan to essentially replace anything that isn't a weather tight connection.

I would not use actual weatherpack connectors. They are way too bulky.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/amphenol-at-dt-connectors.html

Al , I just ordered some from Waytek . Pretty good price . 50 min ea. # is the only drawback .

www.corsa-technic.com is a good place too

Heck, I'll send you some if you want just a couple. I bought a whole set at one time.

• Like 1