Tail Light Blues

LowRyter

My tail light bulb doesn't seat well.  I had to fiddle with it and it mostly didn't work.  I doubt I'll get a mile down the road with it.  The Brake light seems to work most of the time.  

I'll screw with it tomorrow but any hints would be appreciated.  

I've fetttled a few of these tail lights to enhance connection. Using a bent-tip probe and needle nose pliers, you can reshape the two copper contacts inside the socket giving them more curve and prominence; pulling them further "out" or "aft," so-to-speak.

It is a bit of laparoscopic sculpture, of sorts . . . :nerd::luigi:

Be gentle when 'fiddling' with it. My taillight completely failed one night when driving home. When I went to replace the bulb I found the bulb holding base that's part of the plastic casting had broken into a few pieces and the bulb was just sitting in a hole at the back of the reflector. 

Luckily the part isn't too expensive.

MartyNZ wired in some supplemental LEDs for tail light and brake light. I have his handiwork on my Scura. It makes both lights brighter, plus the LEDs work even if the single incandescent bulb fails.

1157 is a little higher wattage for the tail light.

There is that flashing red LED on eBay that swooshdave put us onto. Works really great (plug&play).

The

I finally got tired of JBWelding my light assembly back together and installed a new one.

Probably still need to pull those brass connection bands out more for better connection. Easy enough, but once they have softened (probabably from heat and vibration), a new tail light assembly may be the best medicine . . .

Here is the 1157-style LED unit that swooshdave posted. It is fabulous!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291936498074

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1157 is OEM.

The contacts get really bendy and shoved in. When the contact has been sketchy, the heat goes up and the metal goes soft.

I finally had to replace mine.

1157 is OEM.

The contacts get really bendy and shoved in. When the contact has been sketchy, the heat goes up and the metal goes soft.

I finally had to replace mine.

I think the wrong bulb might've been key here.  Thanks for the info Docc.  I couldn't find the reference.

I reshaped my contacts several times over the years. The last time I got really aggressive with standing them further out and they held up until I replaced the unit.