Searching for a V11

Dave Swanson

After a number of years of lurking on this forum I have decided to start getting serious about finding a V11.   In preparation for the day I got in on the last group buy of Roper plates, just in case.  I might be the only guy out there with the plate but no bike :)  

I have other bikes to ride and therefore have the luxury of taking my time waiting for just the right bike.

I have somewhat of a preference for the flyscreen models, but haven't ruled out the full fairing.

The first bike that really seems interesting is in the Classified section.  I saw it first on Craigslist and then saw the owners ad here today.

I had a nice conversation with the current owner Bob.  He impressed me as a very good caretaker.  He has ridden BMW mostly over the years, but really likes the V11 series.  Arthritis and advancing years have convinced him it is time to sell this 2003 Lemans.  He has performed the shifter pawl spring mod, taken care of the timing chain cover oil leak, and in general taken very good care of this bike.   It was tipped over at a standstill on gravel, receiving a few scratches in the process.  Bob commissioned the local high zoot sports car professional painter to paint the fairing and tail.  It certainly looks like a nice job. 

The miles are quite low at just under 6k miles, but it hasn't suffered from neglect.  I hesitate to jump on this one as I just began looking, but it seems like a nice one coming from this uniformed V11 guy.

guzzi_lemans.jpg

• Like 1

That sure looks like a viable option. You just have to think about how much you value the cosmetic mods vs how much you value originality. I put a red tail on my red LeMans when I had it - I like it a lot better than the original black tail. Low miles and well-cared for deserves a premium price in my opinion - saves money in the long run.

Personally, I prefer the flyscreen, but not by a big margin. The LeMans fairing is attractive and it works well.

Here's a 2003 naked (with a lot of 2002 features) in Los Angeles.  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/d/2003-moto-guzzi-v11-sport/6614233541.html

• Like 1

Always get the best bike you can afford from the best person you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Always get the best bike you can afford from the best person you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No truer words were ever spoken. 

Is that LeMans a 2004? Probably best of the breed.

Seems all of the bodywork on those was color-matched (all red or all black/ red stilettos). :food:

Nice, man! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It is a 2003.  It was my impression from our phone conversation that the owner had the fairing painted the original color, but I could be wrong.

I live in northern Illinois.  The bike is in Springfield, Mo.  About a 7.5 hour drive.  Not that far for a V11. 

The owner did not know if it had the single plate or dual plate clutch.

This 2002 Tenni is much closer and seems to be well cared for.  It has just under 10k miles.  It is also fairly pricey.  Maybe its a fair price for a Tenni.  I really wouldn't know at this point.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/d/2002-moto-guzzi-v11-tenni/6623656143.html

guzzi_tenni-1.jpg

guzzi_tenni.jpg

Be patient.  It's a buyers market.

Mike

This is 100 percent true, if you wait for 3-6 months, you can find a great one in good nick with nice upgrades and probably original parts as a bonus.  It wouldn't hurt to wait for an Ohlins equipped bike either, the suspension is muuuch improved, not a cheap undertaking later. Unfortunately, a really good Cafe Sport sold a week ago on eBay for a good price, your timing is just a tad off.

It's a pricy Tenni, but considering condition, mileage, and there's probably no more than 38-40 of them in the US, not that bad, if you have to have a Tenni. The aluminum flywheel will need to be addressed at some point in the next 10-15k miles if you want to feel secure against failure. Tenni, Scura, and Rosso Mandello all suffer from an inadequately manufactured flywheel. Many of us have done the swap, lots of info here.

• Like 1