V85 motor secrets unveiled

ScuRoo

Is that red rear subframe/parcel rack structural or cosmetic? It almost looks like you could remove it & leave it in the garage for those days when you actually need it for tying gear to, but the rest of the year as your daily ride it would save you an easy 10# of unneeded steel?

Rats!  You can only download the article on a smart phone or tablet.  My eyes are to old and I'm to lazy to deal with my "smart" phone.

Well now I can "kill" two birds with one stone.  A smaller bike than my Griso 1100 and an adventure bike.  I'll keep both the Griso and my Lemans but I keep looking at small blocks for a lighter bike. 

Something that I can take fly fishing would be good also.  Most of my fishing trips are deep into the woods in search of the "uneducated" fish.

Mark

So, is this still considered a "small block?" Or is it the new "little-big-block?" :huh2:

Recall, our BigBlocks started as 700cc . . .

This will be the first brand new bike I will buy in 25 years.

It ticks all the boxes.

• Like 2

I've only bought three new bikes in my life.

I seriously thought about waiting for the V85 - then I got my Husky 701, which I love.  But I could imagine having one of these with a proper set of luggage.

My Moroccan trip on the Quota 1100es was a revelation in how competent and tough Guzzi designed and made that particular bike. So as a comparison here are its salient attributes:

Max power: 70HP @ 6200rpm

Max torque: 85Nm @ 3600rpm

Dry weight 245kg (& 5 speed)

Motorbox confirms this smallblock V85TT as 80HP and has 80Nm @ 3400rpm at near as fly dirt to 200kg.

IMHO If the price is right, this bike will sell like there’s no tomorrow...

• Like 1

I'm liking this thing too. I just checked with a local dealer (Cincy) and he said I could get on a list, behind 7, with expected arrivals starting (maybe) in Feb.

I'll be honest. That level of "excitement" tends to make my interest stumble.. for several reasons. I'll stay positive and see what unfolds.

So that's 80HP and 440 pounds.

My Husky 701 is 70HP and 320 pounds.

My KTM 950 Adventure was 100HP and 450 pounds.

I know there's a lot more to the story... but the above numbers suggest a bike is slightly more tame than the Husky or KTM. It's an interesting in-between spot and I think I really good one for less-aggressive ADV bike. 

There's been a lot of build-up, so long waiting lists... and that means list price until the wait-lists go away. Good for Moto Guzzi. 

Scud

You probably know better than me - but my regular riding mate has a R9T scrambler and I’m on a V11 ScuraR.

The stats say...

Power - 110HP@7750rpm vs 91HP@7800rpm

Torque - 115Nm@6000 vs 94Nm@6000rpm

His Wet weight 220kg.

My Dry weight 226kg.

Now, anyone looking at those figures (myself included) would overwhelmingly be expecting there’s no bloody contest...

However, I’m writing for one reason only. Shock!

Genuinely, I’ve been utterly shocked at how unreliable paper figures actually work out to be on the road...!

Only when there is a long, flat straight, top gear max revs does the R9T have the top end overtake advantage - apart from that scenario it’s wafer thin from point A to B.

I’ve even noticed, on rising slopes or hills the scrambler can’t seem to reel the V11 in like on the flat or down hill stretches.

So, it’s seems true, Guzzi horses really are “big” horses - and I often wonder what is that actual secret ingredient?

It really makes little sense, but still I’m of the view it must be the extra crank stroke length - and possibly some sort of inherent ‘sweet spot’ with the stroke/rod length ratio.

Even the aural experience of Guzzi’s V11 syncopation is unmatched - say compared to other like for like 90 degree V-twin architecture, eg., Suzuki’s SV1000 (another mate has one).

... I actually wanted to contribute something useful but unfortunately it’s difficult unpicking or to tease out what I discern inside when out on the road.

It truly is a mystery but I’ll wrap up by making this observation - it seems unnervingly illegitimate that I should be punching above my weight but my smile is biggest when I surprise riders with bikes with those better “figures”.

So I just find it easiest over a beer explaining, ‘Guzzi horses are big horses’ - without exception, they always nod in agreement.

• Like 5