V85 motor secrets unveiled

ScuRoo

More torque = more fun.

I've ridden some Hawgs, and they ain't fun. :oldgit::whistle:

At no point did I say Harley when talking about torque.

Been trying to identify the rider in the picture posted previous page - and found this quote in an interview of Gianfranco with his picture tagged TESTER. Also, brother Vittorianno was development rider for the Ducati MotoGP entry, the Desmosedici before later being made team manager.

Now, the wearing of Ducati gloves & helmet in picture is clearly odd - so putting the available evidence together I’m wondering whether one or other (or both) of the brothers is the unidentfied rider...

New Guzzi bike, Ducati gear, long-term family Guzzi dealer connection, Guzzi racers, tester/development histories, rider style shows expert status...

Hmmm!

15750334-F9DB-436C-A413-1DDBE751F70D.jpeg

• Like 1

Swooshdave

“Torque - 115Nm@6000 vs 94Nm@6000rpm“

The R9T Scrambler reads 21Nm more torque than the V11 - plus weighs less.

I agree with you about torque, it’s definitely somewhere in there... but

“More torque = more fun.” doesn’t really explain it when the V11 has the lesser sum of 94Nm.

I grew up riding horses - & the length of the cannon bone (between knee & fetlock) used to be evaluated in assessing suitability of the horses confirmation depending on what performance discipline you wanted to do, ie., dressage, show jumping, race horse etc.

So, to my mind I relate that back to the ‘confirmation’ relationship between crankshaft stroke AND conrod length.

Somehow, Guzzi horses have that perfect ‘Champions’ confirmation.

The elusive ‘Phar Lap’, ‘Winx’ and ‘Black Caviar’ X factor!

That’s it! Guzzi’s got it - “Long-legged and easy to live with!”

• Like 3

Why? Who apart from a handful of nostalgia buffs are going to buy an underpowered recreation of an iconic 1970's motorbike when for not a lot more they can buy an immaculately restored, (At least cosmetically.) original version? Sure the old one will be an evil handling pig compared to anything contemporary but in all honesty if they are using a system like the V85 won't be a lot better and it won't produce a lot less power.

Pete

Why? Who apart from a handful of nostalgia buffs are going to buy an underpowered recreation of an iconic 1970's motorbike when for not a lot more they can buy an immaculately restored, (At least cosmetically.) original version? Sure the old one will be an evil handling pig compared to anything contemporary but in all honesty if they are using a system like the V85 won't be a lot better and it won't produce a lot less power.

Pete

One would think but Triumph sold a metric ton of retro bikes. Anything is possible.

True to both Pete and Dave.

I got all hot and bothered when the Ducati Sport 1000 (the retro-styled cafe racer) was launched. Saved my money and bought a new one. They were (IMO) gorgeous, and in every rider's opinion, far superior to the Triumph Thruxtons available at the time. Then I found out Ducati was having a hard time selling them. Then they were summarily discontinued... and now they are "collectible" and sell for more than the original sticker price.  And the Thruxton (especially the R model) has evolved into a fine motorbike.

And Triumph has done pretty well with their adventure bikes too. As for me, I'd prefer one of these air-cooled V85s over a Triumph Tiger or a Ducati Multistrada.

• Like 1

I have mixed feeling on this.

For starters, I have no need for a motorcycle SUV. But a new(er) Guzzi motor in a sporting chassis would be something I could be interested in. But it would have to be better than the Guzzi's I already have at this point to justify another Guzzi. And I don't know if this "new" motor is really much of an improvement. It doesn't make much, if any, additional power (I think three out of four of our Guzzi's make more power). Perhaps it makes more power per liter, but that is not really something I care about from a Guzzi. Maybe that would matter if it was a lot lighter, but it isn't. 

What Pete and others have being doing with the 1400 motor is interesting, But I am not sure that is really it either. Perhaps if they had developed a replacement for the 8 valve CARC motor, something with some balls. And put that in a Griso chassis for a sporty bike. But right now I really don't see a bike in Guzzi's line up that is being made to appeal to me. There are plenty of cool and interesting bikes out there, but sadly I own most of the Guzzi's that I want, and the ones I don't own they no longer make.

A modern Le Mans.

A Modern Lario.

A Modern V11.

A modern Daytona.

A modern Griso.

I would be interested in any of the above. But since they don't make such bikes, and since we already own originals of all but the Le Mans, I'll just keep waiting. Besides, it leaves me with more money to throw at the wife's Jeep. That thing is a money pit.

Less than 200kg & 21L tank.

Excellent.

Translated from https://www.cafe-racer.fr/moto-guzzi-v85-la-tt-en-premiere-de-cordee/

Moto Guzzi V85: the first TT of roped

By Bertrand - September 11,

Engine, look, concept: since the presentation of the prototype at the last Eicma, late 2017, the V85 is eagerly awaited by the world Guzzi. The veil on the final version last weekend, at the Open House of Mandello del Lario, has only increased the enthusiasm for this brand new machine, which announces a full range of products. a new block.

This final version is very close to the proto of Milan: only the front has been slightly modified, with a tubular mesh spider to support the dual optics, previously secured to the handlebars. The ergonomics of the saddle has been reworked. But the TT, since this is its final name, is in every way in line with the original concept: "As soon as we launched this project two years ago, says Marco Lambri, the director of design Piaiggio group, our desire was clearly to develop a classic trail, in line with our motorcycles of the 80s, including the V65TT. These trails of the 80s were simple and robust, and corresponded perfectly to the expectations of bikers. We think this concept is still valid today: who really needs a 150 horsepower engine and a 30 liter tank on a trail? But at the same time, we wanted to combine a classic style with current equipment and behavior, which was not necessarily easy to achieve. We have nevertheless succeeded, and TT has all the elements of a modern motorcycle, starting with electronics with different driving modes, ABS, traction control, cruise control ... "

This modernity is embodied in the onboard computer, splendid: the brightness of its large screen is automatically adjusted. Modern also the tank, since for the first time for its classics, Guzzi abandons a real tin can for an element hidden under two plastic covers. "It's part of our hunt for extra pounds," says Lambri. This tank dresses a new tubular frame stiffened by two aluminum side plates. The wheels are 19 for the front, 17 for the rear. No measure is given yet since the motorcycle is passing at this moment the homologations necessary to put it in production. We simply know that the tank has a capacity of 21 liters, that the weight does not exceed 200 kg. And do not be a giant to have both feet on the ground.

With the V85TT, Moto Guzzi is launching a brand new 853cc engine on the market. While it retains the basic features of the V7 and V9 ranges: air cooling, two valves per cylinder, distribution by rockers ... But it has been completely redesigned with a lighter crankshaft of 30%, large 53 mm intake bodies , larger valves, and titanium for admission, pistons short skirt ... The goal is clearly to take turns to win horses: this V85 is announced for 80 horses, an increase of 45% over at V9. The maximum torque is announced for 80 Nm at 3,400 revolutions.

The V85TT will go into production at the beginning of January for an arrival in concessions from February 2019. Our Italian colleagues of Motociclismo, who could try the proto, announce a sale price around 11 500 euros. Marco Lambri, meanwhile, announced the development of a full range around this new engine that finally fills the performance deficit regretted by fans of V7 and V9. A "more road" proto will be presented at the next Eicma

The first person to get one of these is required by law to put it on a dyno.

And then, again, 10 minutes later, when they replace that enormous exhaust can.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifA80F980D-9AAF-4C32-A990-42A90DB5B2C8.jpeg

I have just received confirmation...

“The Rider is Vittoriano Guareschi.”

As to the bike and engine - I will seek further information.

It looks like that bike is a special that the Guareschis built for a customer.

http://www.guareschimoto.it/portfolio-articoli/guareschi-presenta-750-gc/